Anchor: [...] There are now concerns about another one forming.
Brittany Weiss, Reporter: […] Officials are saying there is a second sinkhole that is on the verge of collapsing. […]
Originally Texas Brine reported that this second salt cavern, cavern #1, no problems, but now they say that it may have problems. And we spoke with a Texas Brine representative today who says that the evidence that there was a problem with cavern #1 started months ago.
The road leading back to the Texas Brine site started tilting on one side and has been steadily sinking and bulging on the other sides. The road has since been leveled out with limestone, but workers are still on edge that the cavern could cave […]
The representative from Texas Brine said that if that salt cavern does cave in, it could essentially double the size of the sinkhole, creating a bigger problem.
It could even possibly take out Highway 70 with a couple houses as well. So we’re trying to figure out what’s being done now […]
Published: March 9th, 2013 at 3:00 am ET
- (UPDATED) TV: Giant sinkhole to more than double in size? “It’s probably going to take out Highway 70″ — “You could look at loss of life” -Resident (VIDEO) March 9, 2013
- New development at giant Louisiana sinkhole — Another salt cavern now causing concern for officials March 8, 2013
- Federal Lawsuit: Giant Sinkhole May Be Radioactive — Failed salt cavern “may have breached Napoleonville Dome’s outer wall” August 13, 2012
- Problem at ANOTHER cavern in salt dome near giant Louisiana sinkhole — “Automatic emergency systems” engaged — No ‘immediate’ safety risk to public July 18, 2013
- Press Release: Floor is rising in salt cavern below giant sinkhole — Over 50 feet since late September October 31, 2012