Title: Fukushima crisis prompts radioactivity concerns worldwide
Source: Arirang News
Date: Aug. 23, 2013
Fukushima crisis prompts radioactivity concerns worldwide
Arirang News Desk: [...] the concerns are very real today, including here in Korea.
Kim Hyun-bin, Reporter: [...] it’s going to be hard to contain [the leaks at Fukushima Daiichi]. First of all, the area is too vast and there are too many radioactive leaks. Concerns and doubts are on the rise about whether they’ll be able to successfully seal the leaks.
Arirang News Desk: So Hyun-bin, you said 300 tons of radioactive water [per day] has leaked out so far. How is that going to affect us here in Korea and the rest of the international community?
Hyun-bin: Well, the majority of the radioactive materials are cesium, strontium and tritium. Cesium makes up nearly 90 percent of the radioactive substances [see below], and it can travel in water [...] By 2016, the current will move the contaminated water to western Canada or the northwestern U.S., and by that time the contaminated water will be at 3-point-5 becquerels, a slight decrease from its current level. [...]
See also – Expert: “They have found strontium-90, which is much more dangerous than radioactive cesium, at levels that are 30 times more than cesium… it bioaccumulates in algae, it bioaccumulates in fish. It targets the bone, because it’s like calcium.”
Published: August 23rd, 2013 at 10:13 am ET
- Fox News: Wave of ‘slightly’ radioactive water from Fukushima predicted to reach U.S. in 2014 — Cancer Expert: Current exposure guidelines are “far too high… a very low dose of radiation is dangerous” (VIDEO) November 3, 2013
- Senior Scientist: Plume of Fukushima nuclear material from initial releases to reach U.S. West Coast before August 2014 — Will continue for years as contamination never stopped flowing into ocean (AUDIO) August 9, 2013
- Gizmodo: Entirely possible leaking nuclear material from Fukushima is going to U.S. and Canada — Bloomberg: “Fish contamination concerns have spread beyond Japan” July 23, 2013
- Canada TV: New concerns about radiation levels in fish from Pacific — “These numbers are just staggering” — Contamination up considerably — “It’s a major event worldwide” (VIDEO) October 7, 2013
- Radiation Expert: Enormous amount of contamination flowing from Fukushima will probably imperil entire Pacific Ocean — Threatens other countries, food chain — Absolutely can reach U.S. and Canadian shores (VIDEO) August 12, 2013