Breaking the Set, Mar. 29, 2014:
At 10:00 in
- Michio Kaku, Ph.D. in nuclear physics from UC Berkeley and protégé of Edward Teller, ‘father of hydrogen bomb’: The crisis is much more severe than we’re led to believe. Documents have been coming out over the last 2 years showing how the utility and government deliberately suppressed vital information. Did you know that even as the accident is progressing and they said don’t worry and everything is under control, they were contemplating evacuating Tokyo? Evacuating Tokyo, it’s mind-boggling, but that’s how severe the accident was. Now right now we have 3 melted reactors. It’ll take 40 years by their estimate to clean up this disastrous accident and it could start again anytime soon. A small earthquake could tip it over and the accident starts all over.
At 11:30 in
- Kaku: We have to monitor the food very carefully. Because we do know that radioactive cesium with a half-life of about 30 years leaked into the ocean and its water soluble and it did get into the fish and sea life around Fukushima, but the government does monitor these things and so far as we know, the food supply is safe. [See: [intlink id="senior-scientist-second-plume-headed-towards-california-effects-of-fukushima-will-be-increasing-as-front-edge-of-large-water-plume-arrives-soon-levels-will-increase-in-upcoming-years-i" type="post"] Scientist: “Effects of Fukushima will be increasing” as front edge of large water plume arrives — Levels to rise for years — “It’s a health and safety issue here” yet no one testing ocean[/intlink]]
At 12:30 in
- Kaku: Germany says never again — they saw what happened at Fukushima. A disaster in Germany could literally wipe out Germany as a nation.
At 12:45 in
- Kaku: Japan made a Faustian bargain, Faust was a legendary figure who sold his soul to the devil for unlimited power. That’s the Faustian bargain Japan made after the war. And now they’re going to have to reanalyze whether it’s worth it to sell your soul to the devil.
Published: March 31st, 2014 at 5:39 pm ET
- Fukushima Workers: Smoke was pouring out of Unit 1 before tsunami hit — “No doubt” quake crippled reactors — Could torpedo Japan’s attempts to restart nuclear plants (VIDEO) March 9, 2013
- Kaku: Human civilization may destroy itself, “I mean, look at Fukushima” — Liquefication of 3 nuclear reactor cores… First time any core ever liquefied — It’s still out of control, 3/11 disaster could start all over again (VIDEO) September 29, 2013
- Asahi: “Officials scuffle with audience members” (PHOTO) — Entire gov’t to be mobilized for Oi nuke plant restart — Strong likelihood Japan could have no nuclear reactors in operation if locals don’t approve — Mayor clearly opposes restart March 24, 2012
- CNBC: “Cow terrorism” from government’s push to restart reactors — Nuclear power is unwelcome, Japan public fearful and resentful (VIDEO) August 16, 2013
- 6 hours until Japan’s final nuclear plant shuts down — NHK: “No prospect of a restart of any of the country’s 50 commercial reactors” (VIDEO) May 4, 2012