Report on first part of this NHK program here: Japan Nuclear Experts: Footage shows 'major problem' at Fukushima Unit 1; Cesium release to continue for next 5 decades -- Tepco: Even if we knew where it's broken, how can we stop it? -- "Still in the dark" about other 2 units (VIDEO)
NHK Documentary, ‘Radioactive Water: Fukushima Daiichi’s Hidden Crisis‘ — Feb. 1, 2014:
At 20:00 in
NHK: Have a look at this chart […] Radioactive cesium in water inside the port […] at times it has even exceeded the government’s limit. This means that radioactive water is still draining into the sea. […] Tepco said it contained the leaks by cementing the trenches and taking other measures. But even today radioactive cesium is detected in groundwater. […] This suggests that radioactive water is leaking from places missed by Tepco and draining into sea.
Tepco Official: It’s quite difficult to stop the tainted water immediately, we’ll have to deal with it in the long term. […]
NHK: Tepco initially built the underground dam along the shoreline but it did not solve the problem […] 5 months after the work began, radiation levels inside the port show no signs of receding, and in some places workers found cesium levels that are higher than the government’s limit.
Tepco Official: The flow of the contaminated water into the ocean is causing problems […] there are many challenges.
Published: February 9th, 2014 at 6:51 pm ET
- ‘Increasing alarm’ at Fukushima: Trenches filled with thousands of tons of plutonium contaminated liquid leaking into ocean — ‘Biggest risk’ at plant — ‘Exceptionally difficult’ problem — ‘Constant flow’ in and out of trenches — ‘Racing to stop’ more from coming in (PHOTO) August 7, 2014
- Engineer: Outright failures continue to plague Fukushima plant — “Public may think worst is over… Nothing could be further from the truth” — Japan TV: New method failing to stop flow of highly contaminated water — Experts: ‘Diluting’ radiation in ocean adds to danger; Spreading it out only makes health damages worse (VIDEO) January 12, 2015
- ‘Pacific Wasteland’? Japan Gov’t Scientist: ‘Big problem’ for whole ocean if Fukushima’s water released with strontium-90 — TV: It may not get filtered out; “All bets are off” without way to plug plant leaks — NHK: All decontamination systems stop working, may not restart for “long time” (VIDEO) January 9, 2014
- Former WHO Official: Fukushima plant is dumping nuclear waste into ocean on a daily basis; “There’s no foreseeable end to it… and nobody has any good ideas on how to stop it” — Japan gov’t worried that attempts to reduce leakage will cause even more radioactivity to flow into sea (VIDEO) October 27, 2015
- Senior Scientist: Chernobyl was nothing with potential of Fukushima right on ocean — No way to contain all this radioactive water — You can’t stop groundwater flow — Every bit of news we’re getting is radioactivity numbers are going up August 22, 2013