Title: Interview – Gerry Pollet – Hanford: The Most Contaminated Site in the Western Hemisphere
Source: Talking Stick TV (Seattle Community Media, Channel 77/29)
Date Published: June 10, 2010
Date Recorded March 7, 2010
h/t MsMilkytheclown1, BeautifulGirlByDana
At :45 in
Gerry Pollet, Co-founder and Executive Director of Heart of America Northwest: It took until the year 2004 [...] before the federal government finally ended dumping radioactive waste in unlined ditches.
I know that this sounds incredible to people, but there are 40 miles of unlined trenches at Hanford — if you stretch them end to end — into which our federal government, your government, was dumping radioactive waste from nuclear weapons production at its own reactors until the year 2004 when we put those pictures on air and in our campaign literature for Initiative 297. […] our federal government thinks it’s ok for radioactive waste, even though it seeps right out of those trenches and starts moving toward the Columbia River.
Published: March 5th, 2013 at 1:34 am ET
- Official: “This stands out from the string of recent bad news” about leaking U.S. nuclear site… “It really does complicate cleanup further” — “No clear plan for responding quickly to leaking nuclear waste” #Hanford June 24, 2013
- Governor: Leaks can’t be stopped at U.S. nuclear site — Will take years to begin removing radioactive sludge from leaking Hanford tanks (VIDEO) March 7, 2013
- New data shows spike in babies born missing parts of brain around leaking US nuclear site — Official: We’re really concerned it remains so high, we hoped it would go away — NBC: Many locals say Hanford to blame — CDC Expert: Cases “not focused near Hanford” (VIDEO) April 24, 2014
- TV: Leaking nuclear material at Hanford was white, “now yellow or light green” — Amount has increased ‘measurably’ — Expert: This waste actually gets worse as time goes on (VIDEO) April 23, 2013
- Governor: Nuclear waste leaking at an estimated 1,000 gallons a year — “No available technology to plug the leaks” at Hanford February 27, 2013