Title: Fukushima, Two Years on
Source: Arirang News
Author: Han Da-eun
Date: March 6, 2013
Reporter: [...] Instead of starting the day with a warm cup of coffee, residents in Fukushima, Japan, wake up to another day measuring the amount of radioactive materials they’re being exposed to. Mothers with young children pray everyday for an escape from the ill-fated town, if only financial circumstances would allow it.
‘Kurota’, Fukushima Resident: “They are like my own children and grandchildren. I am determined to do everything I can.”
Reporter: [...] The biggest problem perhaps is that they don’t fully know just how hazardous their current environment is. Angry protestors still aim their fury at the Japanese government, urging them to tell the truth, and help evacuate the children of Fukushima, so that their future does not lie in the troubled town.
Fukushima Resident: “What’s scarier than the radiation covering the skies above Fukushima is the black cloud concealing the truth.”
Reporter: [...] To seek the truth, 17 ordinary Japanese citizens embarked on a journey, not to the Fukushima nuclear reactors, but to Chernobyl [...] The second and third generation children born of parents exposed to the Chernobyl disaster were suffering from cancer and a variety of other inexplicable diseases. Without a firm resolve from the Japanese government to tackle the crisis two years on, citizens are braving radiation exposure in search of solutions to their seemingly unending problems. Their lonely battle continues, and no one knows how this tragic story will end.
Published: March 5th, 2013 at 9:49 pm ET
- ZDF Bureau Chief: Very high radioactive dose of 65 microsieverts per hour in Fukushima City — “Informed officials 3 month ago, nothing happened until today!” — Many children pass by everyday (PHOTO) May 17, 2013
- Fukushima Film Premiere — Tears from local official: “Not allowing the children to escape is murder” (VIDEO) March 3, 2013
- NHK: The Ill Effects of Fukushima Daiichi — Mothers, children face danger — Constant worries over radiation (VIDEO) September 26, 2012
- Speech for Japan: “We’ve got to act from our truth and our gut” — “There’s nothing to be afraid of except for our children and our future” (VIDEO) February 11, 2012
- Former Tepco employee: Plutonium and uranium in Reactor No. 3 has all been blown out — This was no ordinary explosion — Gov’t is concealing truth (VIDEO) November 12, 2011