Title: Is oil sheen in Gulf of Mexico coming from site of BP spill?
Source: WWL TV
Author: Monica Hernandez
Date: Dec 13 at 10:41 PM
h/t Louisiana Sinkhole Bugle
BP is looking into whether a massive oil sheen in the Gulf of Mexico is coming from the site of the 2010 spill. [...]
Now, investigators are looking into whether the site is the source of continuing oil slicks in the Gulf of Mexico. [...]
BP confirmed that an oil sheen spotted in mid-September was indeed leaking from the containment dome [...] The company plugged that new leak, but days later, more slicks surfaced.
So far, investigators haven’t found any new sources of oil, but haven’t yet inspected the source of September’s leak. [...]
This time, investigators also plan to look at the rig wreckage itself, which they didn’t inspect after mid-September’s leak. [...]
Cpt. Duke Walker, Federal On Scene Coordinator for the Deepwater Horizon Response
- “The only places that we have high suspicion that there might be contained oil is the containment dome where we already found some previously”
- “We haven’t been back to the containment dome yet, or the well heads, that’s in our target package, and it will happen either [Thursday night] or perhaps [Friday]”
- Walker doesn’t believe any oil is leaking from wells associated with the Deepwater Horizon
Again… They are focusing on if oil is “leaking from wells associated with the Deepwater Horizon”. The real concern appears to be whether oil and gas is coming from fissures or cracks in the seafloor which may have been caused during the initial blowout or the many attempts to cap the well.
See also: “The concern we probably all share is that this does not appear to be from a previously existing or at least previously documented natural seep, and therefore if this is not still residual oil from leaking hardware after 30+ months, then is it coming from some new cracks caused by the Deepwater Horizon explosion?” (VIDEO)
Published: December 17th, 2012 at 12:27 am ET
- CBS: Oil may be seeping from Deepwater Horizon site — Coast Guard cancels interview — “My concern is that substantial amounts of oil could still be leaking” -Congressman (VIDEO) December 13, 2012
- Newspaper: New oil near Deepwater Horizon in Gulf; BP told to check area again — Pilot: Concern it’s coming from recent cracks (VIDEO) November 16, 2012
- Video: Huge slick at site of BP disaster in Gulf of Mexico — Visible rainbow sheen and weathered oil not seen for months January 28, 2013
- New drilling platform above BP’s Deepwater Horizon wellhead in Gulf — Many large oil slicks nearby (VIDEOS) December 5, 2012
- Coast Guard: Oil reported near BP Deepwater Horizon site (MAP) November 12, 2012