KGW (Portland, OR), July 29, 2014: Major anchovy die-off stinks up Seaside [...] Millions of anchovies have died […] [A]ccording to Seaside Aquarium spokeswoman Tiffany Boothe […] anchovy die-offs aren’t unusual, although this one did seem to have especially big numbers. […] Experts said this odd phenomenon happens about every ten years.
KPTV Transcript, July 29, 2014 — Witness #1: That’s crazy isn’t it? Craziest thing I’ve ever seen. Witness #2: That is a little strange.
Oregon Public Broadcasting, July 29, 2014: “It kind of looks like the apocalypse,” joked [Boothe.] Unsuspecting visitors and locals not armed with the actual cause of the event found the appearance of the fish coating the banks of the river to be a bit alarming. Several mentioned how “odd” and “creepy” it was to see so many dead anchovies for no apparent reason. One visitor said he had never seen anything like it.
OPB (Blog), July 31, 2014: [It's] a sign that the anchovy population is actually thriving [...] “this is a sign that the anchovies along our coastline are doing good” [said Boothe.]
Latin Post, July 29, 2014: Marine biologists indicate […] when there’s a high tide, an uncommon number of anchovies try to swim upstream, get stranded and either return to the ocean or get eaten by birds, said a report by USA Today. But, [Boothe said] the fish died this week because there wasn’t enough oxygen.
Nature World News, July 29, 2014: Boothe, a representative from Seaside’s Aquarium told local media that this [...] mass death is larger than many seen in the past.
KGW Transcript, July 29, 2014: Is it something we really need to worry about? [...] When you see it you cannot blame people for being alarmed [...] It is all the talk along the coast tonight. >> Watch broadcast here
See also: [intlink id="millions-of-fish-found-dead-on-california-coast-3rd-major-kill-event-for-area-in-2-weeks-unidentified-goo-floating-nearby-police-remove-people-from-beach-and-call-health-officials-to-inv" type="post"]Millions of fish dead on California coast — 3 major fish kills in 2 weeks — Unidentified ‘goo’ floating nearby; Police clear out beach, call health officials to investigate (VIDEO)[/intlink]
Published: August 1st, 2014 at 7:06 pm ET
- Animals delirious, disoriented up and down West Coast — Displaying ‘unprecedented’ behaviors — Experts “know something isn’t right” — Gov’t: “Waters offshore so lacking in things like anchovies, sardines and squid” (PHOTOS & VIDEO) September 4, 2015
- TV: “Researchers say massive decline of fish is throwing off ecosystem” along California coast — Expert: “Population has truly collapsed”… They’re gone virtually everywhere — Whale numbers dropping significantly, squid disappearing, other major die-offs seen (VIDEO) November 3, 2015
- NBC: Record level of sick or injured California seals and sea lions turning up — “The numbers are extraordinary” — “Scientists worried… The worst kind of perfect storm” — Pups should be weighing 2 or 3 times as much, “severely malnourished” (VIDEO) April 18, 2014
- CNN: The Pacific has seen its fair share of weird recently — Bay in California “now a massive soup bowl” — “Miles of anchovies, mountains deep” — It’s like none ever recorded… Old timers have never seen anything like this — “We may be experiencing ‘global weirding’” (VIDEO) December 12, 2013
- Millions of fish found dead on California coast — 3 major fish kills in 2 weeks — Unidentified ‘goo’ floating nearby; Police clear out beach, call health officials to investigate (VIDEO) August 1, 2014