NHK, Jul. 16, 2015 (emphasis added): Radioactive water from Fukushima plant escapes — The operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant has found that radioactive water has overflowed from a drainage channel, spilling into the sea. This is due to heavy rain… samples taken from the channel about 2 hours later contained 830 becquerels per liter of radioactive cesium [and] 1,100 becquerels of beta-ray emitting radioactive substances. An approaching typhoon has been bringing intermittent heavy rain around the plant. The utility suspects that the rain has washed away mud and soil that also contains radioactive materials. It also presumes the amount of rainwater has exceeded the pump’s capacity. The leak was continuing as of 5 PM. But the firm says it cannot stop the spill anytime soon…
NHK, Jul 16, 2015: Severe tropical storm Nangka is bringing strong winds and torrential rainfall to wide areas… As of 5 AM Friday, about 360,000 people from 9 prefectures were advised to find alternate shelter… The meteorological agency warns of further torrential rainfall, landslides and flooding, as well as tidal waves.
NHK transcript excerpts, Jul 16, 2015: In some areas more than 500 mm of rain has been reported since Thursday… The severe tropical storm remains large and intense… Officials at the Japan Meteorological Agency warn of further torrential rain throughout the nation.
Kyodo, Jul 16, 2015: Typhoon Nangka was described as particularly slow-moving, the kind of storm that can wreak most damage… On Thursday parts of the country were already suffering from heavy rain, with Kawauchi village in Fukushima Prefecture recording 77.5 mm per hour [over 3 inches/hr] in the morning…
Published: July 16th, 2015 at 7:54 pm ET
- ABC: “Epic flooding threatening Fukushima… Serious concerns about nuclear plant in flood zone” — Massive amount of nuclear waste has already flowed into ocean — “Grave danger” from contaminated water leak — Torrential downpours overwhelm site — Official: It’s “threatening safety” at plant (VIDEO) September 10, 2015
- Weather Channel: Typhoon Francisco “merging with cold front” — High threat of mudslides, floods from heavy rainfall — Another wave developing in Pacific (VIDEO) October 24, 2013
- Japan on highest alert for ‘once in decades’ typhoon — New forecasts show direct hit at Fukushima plant — Official: “Extraordinary situation… Grave danger approaching” — Record-level winds to 170mph, waves near 50ft — Military: “Can’t stress enough how dangerous… not just another typhoon” — Astronaut: It “takes up our entire view… Wow” (PHOTOS) July 7, 2014
- AFP: Gov’t issues highest alert for “possibly unprecedented heavy rain”; Fears it will hit Fukushima nuclear plant, torrential downpours expected — Kyodo: Major typhoon prompts emergency warning of “unprecedented heavy rain” September 15, 2013
- NHK: Japan braces for another storm — “Typhoon Guchol has already made ground vulnerable” — Torrential rain up to 15 inches — Gov’t warns of landsides and floods (VIDEO) June 20, 2012