NHK WORLD, June 9, 2014: TEPCO: Water in reactor half expected level — Officials with the operator of the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant say the water level inside the No.2 reactor’s containment vessel is about half what they had estimated. [...] They found the water was around 30 centimeters [11.8 inches] deep. TEPCO officials [...] say they don’t know whether the fuel is entirely submerged. [...] They believe then flowing out of the reactor building through holes in the chamber.
NHK WORLD, June 10, 2014: TEPCO officials are struggling to find [...] the condition of the melted fuel [...] Officials believe that at reactor number 2, water is leaking [...] at the bottom of the containment vessel, but do not know exactly from where. [At] reactors 1 and 3, the utility has found the sources of some leaks, but suspects there are other breaches [...] Nothing is known about the condition of the melted fuel in all 3 reactors. TEPCO is considering various forms of surveys, including a plan to send a camera-mounted robot [...]
Kyodo News, June 9, 2014: TEPCO confirms water level of Fukushima No. 2 reactor container [...] A TEPCO official [said] the detailed condition of the melted fuel remains unknown.
NHK Transcript, June 9, 2014:
- Officials at Tepco are facing another setback.
- They don’t know whether [the water] even covers all of the nuclear fuel.
- Officials don’t know about the condition of the melted fuel.
- Officials believe the water level at another reactor is 10 times deeper.
- Teruaki Kobayashi, Tepco official: “We cannot tell at this point if the fuel is entirely submerged or if part of it’s above the water.”
- They believe it’s flowing through the chamber then out of the reactor building.
Published: June 10th, 2014 at 2:55 am ET
- Kyodo: Sharp drop in water at Fukushima Reactors No. 1-3 — “Below level regarded as necessary to keep fuel inside cool” August 30, 2012
- NHK: Scientists to use detectors ‘deep underground’ to look for Fukushima fuel; It’s ‘believed’ to have cooled down, but no one can check — Officials: We don’t know if water is covering fuel — Expert: Water must be circulating around fuel or it will melt again (VIDEO) August 21, 2014
- AFP: Fears that molten fuel went into ground after melting through containment vessels at Fukushima — They still can’t find three reactor cores (AUDIO) January 23, 2014
- Japanese Nuclear Expert: Melted reactor cores not in one piece at Fukushima, as gov’t claims — I think nuclear fuel scattered everywhere, stuck to walls — Chernobyl-like sarcophagus may be needed — Nothing has been done, by time they deal with this I’ll be long dead June 12, 2014
- Asahi: ‘Underground holes’ may be needed to search for Fukushima’s 3 molten cores — Did fuel ‘escape’ via basement? — Experts unsure if Tepco will allow them to search for corium January 25, 2014