TV: Officials say Louisiana sinkhole has grown — Now 476 feet by 640 feet (VIDEO)
UPDATE (August 16 at 3:00p ET): Workers rescued after collapse at Louisiana sinkhole -- Boat swallowed by the muck -- "Natural growth" expected to continue -- Cleanup operations suspended
Title: People living in the Bayou Corne community say they’re ready for answers
Source: NBC33 (WVLA)
Author: Kris Cusanza
Date: August 15, 2012 at 8:10p ET
Assumption parish officials say they will be notifying people who remain in the area before drilling begins on the relief well. They say it could cause lots of a noise and some shaking during the first few days.
Officials with GOHSEP say the sinkhole has grown it is now 476 feet (from the northeast to the southwest) by 640 feet (from the northwest to the southeast). State and local officials monitoring the situation will continue with regular flyovers throughout the duration of the incident.
Watch the video here
- Officials: Now up to 30,000 sq. feet swallowed by giant Louisiana sinkhole in latest collapse — Almost 20 times bigger than original estimate — “It’s a concern” (PHOTO & VIDEO) November 1, 2012
- Officials: Flyover confirms massive collapse zone at Louisiana sinkhole (PHOTOS) November 2, 2012
- Officials: Sinkhole growing in direction of drilling rig there to investigate troubled salt cavern — Now about 900 feet from edge August 18, 2012
- AP: Over 100,000 gallons of oil mix removed from giant Louisiana sinkhole — “Officials don’t yet know how big it will get” December 3, 2012
- Officials: Sinkhole could grow to 1,400 feet across — “Unusual” it’s on edge of giant salt dome, normally right on top August 16, 2012