At 8:30 in
Edwin Lyman, Union of Concerned Scientists: There is seafood that concentrates radioactivity. The fishing industry in the region has been devastated, and it looks like it’s not going to come back any time soon.
And there will be occasional levels of contamination in seafood much further away, that will be unacceptable.
People are going to be slowly consuming the radioactive material coming out of Fukushima.
See also: NBC Nightly News: Concerns are growing tonight, especially out West, about the continuing radiation threat from Fukushima -- Japanese Diplomat: U.S. food supply stands to be contaminated (VIDEO)
Published: September 5th, 2013 at 12:02 pm ET
- Senior Scientist: Fukushima cores melted through the containment vessels — I’m very concerned about sea life on West Coast accumulating radioactive material; Some contamination will arrive in concentrated pockets (AUDIO) January 3, 2014
- Senior Scientist: Plume of Fukushima nuclear material from initial releases to reach U.S. West Coast before August 2014 — Will continue for years as contamination never stopped flowing into ocean (AUDIO) August 9, 2013
- Censored Japan gov’t scientist reveals much more radioactive material is leaking into Pacific from Fukushima than claimed by Tepco — It’s getting released outside of port’s barrier, directly into ocean — Officials refused to allow publication of study on sea contamination (PHOTO) September 27, 2013
- Senior Scientist: Fukushima is not under control; It has ‘alarm bells’ going off on West Coast — Former Official: I’m humiliated Japan lies to world about how much contamination is entering Pacific; Nuclear material “polluting ocean more and more” (AUDIO) June 4, 2014
- Senior Scientist: Fukushima reactors like Swiss cheese; No one knows how far melted nuclear fuel has spread — Newspaper: Highly radioactive water thought to be coming up from ground and directly into open ocean, bypassing plant’s bay; ‘Other substances’ making contamination more serious (VIDEO) September 9, 2014