NHK, Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:12p UTC: Typhoon passes off Japan’s Pacific coast [...] The typhoon brought heavy rain to many places, including Iwata, Shizouka Prefecture, where 17 houses were inundated. [...] At the Fukushima nuclear plant, water levels rose inside barriers around tanks of contaminated wastewater. The plant released some water after confirming radioactivity levels were below the government’s standards. The water was released from inside the barriers, but kept within plant premises.
AFP, Oct. 26, 2013: Keiji Doi, director of the meteorological agency’s quake predictions, told an early morning news conference [...] “There is the possibility that aftershocks with a magnitude of around seven will occur once in a while.”
Wall St. Journal (MarketWatch), Oct. 26, 2013: Three aftershocks were reported, with the strongest recording a magnitude 5.5.
Published: October 26th, 2013 at 3:58 pm ET
- Japan Headline: ‘Radioactive substances may have escaped Fukushima plant earlier’ than was admitted by Tepco, possibly through valves — Contaminated water released into atmosphere from rainfall? September 17, 2013
- ‘Emergency measures’ used at Fukushima site during typhoon — Contaminated water dumped in ocean — 9 barriers were on verge of overflowing, then released into environment with NO radiation test — CNN: Workers were “on vigil” (VIDEO) October 16, 2013
- Kyodo: Fearing Fukushima plant would flood, workers opened barriers — Amount of contamination released ‘unknown’ — TV: Japan media questioning if radioactivity levels were measured before pumping into ocean; Tepco now under investigation September 16, 2013
- Fukushima plant “braces for super-typhoon” — Officials admit “tough situation” could occur — More workers may be drafted in — Cesium levels already spiking in ocean October 22, 2013
- “Once-in-a-decade typhoon” on path for Fukushima — Top Official: Giant tanks of nuclear-contaminated waste at risk of being destroyed — Winds near 200 kilometers per hour — Gov’t: Water can be released into ocean — WSJ: ‘Monster’ bearing down on plant (PHOTO) October 15, 2013