KRQE, Mar. 14, 2014: Because of contamination, no one has been underground yet to find out what happened. Probes sent down two shafts show there is a safe area where a re-entry team can go. The inspection of the two vertical shafts is set for this weekend. Before that happens, WIPP miners will evaluate the integrity of those two shafts to make sure that when a crew goes to the bottom they will be able to get back out.
Carlsbad Current-Argus, Mar. 16, 2014: Other theories floated as to the cause of the radiation leak don’t seem to correlate with the scientific data that has been released thus far. One popular theory is that the entire roof of WIPP’s underground chambers collapsed and damaged all the drums [...] Seismic data taken and analyzed by the Department of Energy from the time when the leak was detected showed no signs of any earthquake activity.
With so many questions and few answers about the WIPP radioactive release(s), it appears officials would rather discuss other issues — such as:
ABC 7 El Paso, Mar. 17, 2014: WIPP official debunks online article spreading radiation leak fears — An online article stating much of New Mexico and parts of West Texas may need to be evacuated due to a radiation leak at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant is false, according to a WIPP spokeswoman. [It] states “The radiation leak potentially affects 14 million residents in New Mexico, Texas, and Chihuahua [...] the effect to the multi-state area could be much like a “dirty bomb”, rendering [...] cities inhabitable for decades to come.”
Officials are now ‘debunking’ a report that claims a multi-state area near WIPP will be “inhabitable for decades”? The definition of ‘inhabitable’: Suitable to live in.
You can read the now ‘officially’ debunked report here, it’s between the ads for bug out bags, sniper training, and credit card knives.
Published: March 17th, 2014 at 7:50 pm ET
- TV: Radioactive waste containers may be “smashed and opened” after roof collapse at leaking U.S. nuclear site — Official: We believe there’s been a breach… “It’s a very serious thing” — ‘Seismic event’ mentioned — High levels of alpha and beta radiation detected (VIDEO) February 21, 2014
- Experts: Concern gases caused underground explosion at WIPP; Extent of contamination “could topple long-held assumptions” — AP: Plan to enter mine postponed — ‘Very excited’ about new monitors for detecting further releases (VIDEO) April 2, 2014
- Paper: WIPP workers “not permitted to speak” — “Their jobs won’t ever be the same… will face new paradigm” — Concerns plutonium contaminated surrounding salt — Preparing for radiation levels so high, only robots can be used (VIDEO) April 22, 2014
- PHOTO: Broken roof bolts directly above WIPP nuclear waste were reported the day before radiation event — Cracks seen in nearby wall — “Heaving of bottom” may have taken place below broken bolts (VIDEO) April 24, 2014
- Professor: Concern that Fukushima is impacting Alaska; “Unusual animals showing up dead… Seals w/ unknown disease… 1st ever cases of avian cholera” — Govt investigating ‘rare whale beachings’ in Alaska — Japan Paper: Mysterious sea creatures found one after another (PHOTOS) May 10, 2014