Japan PM says two reactors must restart for survival of society
Linda Sieg and Aaron Sheldrick
Jun 8, 2012 7:23am EDT
Japan’s prime minister said on Friday that two idled nuclear reactors in western Japan must be restarted to protect jobs and ensure the “survival of society”, risking a voter backlash given safety fears more than a year after the Fukushima crisis.
Japanese voters, however, have grown wary of nuclear power since Fukushima, with surveys showing that about 70 percent want to abandon reliance on atomic energy even if not immediately.
Around 1,000 people protested outside the prime minister’s office in central Tokyo after his news conference, chanting “We oppose restarts” and “Protect our children”. More were joining the crowd of office workers, mothers with children and elderly as they waved banners opposing nuclear power.
- Nuclear Expert: Fukushima spent fuel has 85 times more cesium than released at Chernobyl -- "It would destroy the world environment and our civilization... an issue of human survival" -Former UN adviser
- U.S. Assistant Secretary of State told Japan Ambassador "the survival of your nation" was at stake after Fukushima
Published: June 8th, 2012 at 9:57 am ET
- Japan Prime Minister orders restart of nuclear reactors under ‘intense pressure’ from banks — “The dustbin of history is waiting for him” says expert — Protests as 70% of public opposed June 16, 2012
- ‘Game Changer’: Former Prime Ministers team up to win Tokyo election and end nuclear power — It’s endangering the existence of Japan… “Our nation’s survival is at stake” — “Could have biggest influence ever on national politics” January 14, 2014
- Asahi: “Officials scuffle with audience members” (PHOTO) — Entire gov’t to be mobilized for Oi nuke plant restart — Strong likelihood Japan could have no nuclear reactors in operation if locals don’t approve — Mayor clearly opposes restart March 24, 2012
- *News Alert* Kyodo: Japan gov’t thinks they can restart nuclear reactors in a few months December 6, 2012
- Japan’s Ex-Industry Minister: Neutron radiation is degenerating reactors — Admits he was playing a role when saying nuclear plants were safe May 18, 2012