Title: Fukushima nuclear disaster poses no immediate health risks: UN experts
Date: Jun 1, 2013
Fukushima nuclear disaster poses no immediate health risks: UN experts
The Fukushima nuclear disaster has not caused any immediate health risks, UN experts reported in Vienna on Friday as part of their interim investigation results.
Whether a discovered increase in the instances of thyroid cancer amongst children could be due to radioactivity or more and improved studies could not be determined, said United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR) Chair Wolfgang Weiss, according to UN Information Service Vienna.
It is however assumed that children are more susceptible to radiation and particularly to leukemia, thyroid, brain, and skin-related cancer types. [...]
Weiss said further investigations would be necessary, with a final UNSCEAR report to be completed by summer.
See also: “When you hear ‘no immediate danger‘ [from nuclear radiation] then you should run away as far and as fast as you can.” -Alexey Yablokov, member of the Russian academy of sciences and adviser to President Gorbachev at the time of Chernobyl
Published: June 1st, 2013 at 11:16 am ET
- Fukushima Mother: ‘Strange smell’ at start of nuclear disaster — Health of entire family has deteriorated — More people who stayed have died, more kids have leukemia and cancer — All our thyroid exams turned out totally different when tested in Tokyo (VIDEO) December 25, 2013
- Stony Brook Univ. Scientist: Fukushima radioactivity “has absolute consequences in rest of world” — “It’s carried all over the place… incorporated into sea life… causes risks to human health” (AUDIO) January 27, 2014
- Fukushima Doctor: Cancer found in over 40 children… We believe it’s related to the nuclear disaster — Physician: Leukemia cases to increase in next few months? (AUDIO) October 11, 2013
- AP: Flurry of films on Fukushima disaster — Shows authorities playing down health risks, not telling whole truth February 27, 2013
- Medical experts say U.N. downplaying health effects of Fukushima disaster — “A lot of people experienced acute radiation illness… bleeding noses, hair loss, nausea, diarrhoea” June 27, 2013