CBS: “Anytime a plant shuts down on short notice it normally releases radiation. This is not good radiation is cumulative in nature it’s going to take some time to reconstruct the event and see how much was actually released. The way to prevent this from occurring again is to make sure all the parts in the plant are operating as they should.” Says Eric Epstein, TMI Alert.
York Dispatch: TMI [cooling] pump fails, sends plant into shutdown [...] Plants don’t typically shut down automatically very often, and TMI has gone as long as 10 years between automatic shutdowns. [...] “It’s certainly not a common occurrence, but automatic shutdowns do happen in the nuclear industry,” [a TMI spokesman] said.
ABC: The plant is not releasing a timetable for repairs. Nearby residents heard the loud noise caused by the shutdown and subsequent release of steam. This is the first time I ever got scared when something like this happened,” neighbor Sondra Myers said. Myers, who has been a Middletown resident for nearly 40 years, said this was unprecedented. “This was the loudest one,” Myers said.
Watch the video here
Published: September 21st, 2012 at 10:51 pm ET
- TV: Time-lapse footage of steam release at Three Mile Island (VIDEO) September 20, 2012
- “It’s a time bomb and clock’s still ticking” — Ex-Fukushima Worker: I’m scared of collapse at plant, “buildings are in a very bad state” — Gundersen: “Building failures” will occur in future if problems not solved (VIDEOS) October 16, 2013
- “Mutant fish” with giant tumor growing from head caught near Three Mile Island — Officials: “Unrecognizable pathogen” detected in species, “this is very, very serious” — Lesions found at alarming rate — Almost 70% of males have female eggs in testicles — “We’re waiting to catch one with 3 eyes” (VIDEO) June 30, 2015
- Report: Some investigators concluded sabotage probably triggered Three Mile Island disaster (AUDIO) August 13, 2012
- CBS: Big, loud boom heard then steam vented — “It reminded him of the 1979 Three Mile Island accident” (VIDEO) September 21, 2012