Dr. Ken Buesseler, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, published by eon3 on Oct 3, 2015 (at 20:00 in): “We are starting to see the penetration of cesium from offshore… to these coastal sites… I also want to point out that we are not the only ones doing this. This is from a Canadian lab (see map), they have some cruises offshore, this is back to 137Cs, but this number here is 5 (becquerels per cubic meter)… We see it primarily offshore, a little bit of mixing here near shore.”
Dr. John Smith, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (pdf), Oct 2015 (emphasis added): Transport of the Fukushima radioactivity plume to the Eastern North Pacific Ocean — The large discharge of radioactivity into the northwest Pacific Ocean from the 2011 Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear reactor accident has generated considerable concern about the spread of this material across the ocean to North America… By June, 2013, the Fukushima signal had spread onto the Canadian continental shelf and by February, 2014 had increased to a value of 2 Bq/m3 throughout the upper 150 m of the water column resulting in an overall doubling of the fallout background from atmospheric nuclear weapons tests. Between February, 2014 and February, 2015 the Fukushima 137Cs signal doubled again to levels in excess of 4 Bq/m3 in the upper 200 m. Adjusted circulation model estimates that match our measured values indicate that future levels of Fukushima 137Cs off the North American coast will likely attain maximum values of at least 5 Bq/m3 by 2015-2016… The increase in 137Cs levels in the eastern North Pacific from Fukushima inputs… does not represent a significant threat to human health or the environment.
Published: October 13th, 2015 at 8:17 pm ET
- Japan Scientists: High radiation levels near West Coast after Fukushima disaster — Almost 30 Bq/m3 of cesium offshore — Secret documents reveal US gov’t previously ordered radiation test results in Pacific be hidden to avoid contamination fears June 10, 2015
- Fukushima nuclear waste detected off U.S. West Coast, from California to Canada — “There is definitely offshore Fukushima cesium now” — Test results will not be revealed to public for several weeks (VIDEO) October 17, 2014
- Senior Scientist: Fukushima radiation already on West Coast of N. America — We don’t know how much is coming or how fast it’s moving, situation ‘evolving’ — Levels will continue to rise for years — Unprecedented event for Pacific, largest ever radioactive release into ocean (VIDEO) January 15, 2014
- Gov’t Expert: West Coast will soon be hit by 800 Trillion Bq of Fukushima Cesium-137 — Nearly equal to amount of fallout deposited on Japan — Levels in Pacific “higher than expected” — “Main body of surface plume has reached off coast of US” — Never slowed down while crossing ocean, contrary to prediction June 7, 2015
- Senior Scientist: US West Coast had radiation dose estimated at 5 microsieverts from Fukushima; I’m not going to say it’s low, risk of health effects ‘not zero’ — CBC: There’s more radiation in potato chips than fish around Fukushima plant… so of course there’s nothing to fear on West Coast (VIDEO) June 7, 2014