Fuel Fix: Specialists work to kill leaking Gulf well [...] Late Wednesday, workers were preparing to begin pumping drilling mud into the well [...] For much of the day, they were waiting for proof that gas at the platform the well serves had dropped to safe levels so that workers could board the facility. In the meantime, federal regulators and well control specialists waited at a neighboring platform. [...] Although the most recent leak began on Monday, ERT workers first had problems a day earlier. After the initial loss of well control, the company believed the well had been secured on Sunday, the safety bureau said. [...]
Fox 59 News: [...] On Tuesday, the sheen measured four miles wide by three-quarters of a mile long, according to the Coast Guard, which flew over the leak. The size on Wednesday wasn’t known. The BSEE did not say when it expects the leak to be plugged. [...] Energy Resource Technology was in the process of permanently plugging and abandoning the well when the leak started Sunday. The company [...] plugged it, but the well started leaking again Monday, prompting an evacuation of the platform and the shutdown of two adjacent working wells.
The Advertiser: [...] Energy Resources Technology Gulf of Mexico reported to BSEE and the Coast Guard that a company crew encountered difficulty first while temporarily closing the well Sunday, then a second time Monday morning. [...] The Coast Guard was providing safety management oversight. A Coast Guard spokesman said Wednesday morning that six Coast Guard vessels had been at the site. [...]
See also: Photos: "Badly leaking natural gas well" in Gulf of Mexico -- "Barely a trace of marine life in this area... We are seriously starting to wonder where all the life has gone"
Published: July 11th, 2013 at 12:26 pm ET
- Coast Guard: Two workers missing from burning oil platform in Gulf — Four airlifted off November 13, 2012
- Offshore oil platform burning in Gulf of Mexico — Coast Guard says “something” has happened (PHOTO) November 16, 2012
- CBS: Oil may be seeping from Deepwater Horizon site — Coast Guard cancels interview — “My concern is that substantial amounts of oil could still be leaking” -Congressman (VIDEO) December 13, 2012
- Two oil barges slam into bridge on Mississippi River, both heavily damaged — Coast Guard trying to fix 24-foot gash — Sheen reported miles away — “Still leaking Sunday evening” (VIDEO) January 27, 2013
- Coast Guard: 4-mile stretch of oil has appeared near BP’s Macondo well in Gulf October 4, 2012