Title: Markey Calls for Full Undersea Survey Following Gulf Oil Sheen Sourced from BP’s Macondo Well
Source: Congressman Ed Markey (D-Mass.)
Date: October 11, 2012
Congressman Asks for Spillcam Return for Survey
Following confirmation that an oil sheen in the Gulf of Mexico has origins from BP’s blown-out Macondo well, Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) today called for a full undersea survey of the Macondo site carried live on the internet so independent scientists can examine the activities as they happen.
“One can only hope that the nightmare well has not come back to haunt the people of the Gulf. The federal government should order BP to immediately deploy undersea rovers to examine the well site, the wreckage of the sunken rig, the drill pipe, and the surrounding area,” said Rep. Markey, the top Democrat on the Natural Resources Committee, who was the leading investigative force into the BP disaster in 2010. “BP must also bring back the Spillcam, so the world can see in real time what is going on at the bottom of the Gulf. There is no room for error, and no room for obfuscation, when it comes to this matter.”
“BP must do everything in its power to ensure this well does not rupture or leak, and they should be held responsible if it does. BP still has billions to pay to the people of the Gulf and the U.S. government, but the Gulf region also deserves the peace of mind that this well is dead once and for all,” said Rep. Markey.
Published: October 15th, 2012 at 1:30 pm ET
- *Confirmed* Gov’t: Oil reported in Gulf matches BP’s Macondo Well October 11, 2012
- Watch: Pilot films “substantial amounts of fresh-looking oil” in Gulf around BP’s Macondo reservoir (PHOTOS & VIDEO) October 11, 2012
- Photos: “Badly leaking natural gas well” in Gulf of Mexico — “Barely a trace of marine life in this area… We are seriously starting to wonder where all the life has gone” July 11, 2013
- Local media theorizes oil dispersed with Corexit is surfacing in Gulf near BP’s wellhead October 12, 2012
- Newspaper: Concern that BP’s fresh oil is coming from fractures in floor of Gulf October 11, 2012