Carlsbad Residents Meeting on WIPP Radiation Release, Feb. 24, 2014 (emphasis added):
- Question at 1:35:30 in: Whenever [CEMRC director] Russell Hardy was standing at [the WIPP site] pulling the filter, how many [millirem] was he exposed to roughly?
- Roger Nelson, U.S. Department of Energy: When he was there [...] the large amounts of particulate that were in the puff as it went by were gone.
KFOR NewsChannel4, Feb. 24, 2014:
- Kevin Ogle, KFOR anchor: It’s being called a radiation event, and you know what? It could be making its way here to Oklahoma. Officials say a radiation leak happened sometime between Feb. 11 and Feb. 16 at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant […] What they’re saying not totally reassuring. They’re saying we shouldn’t worry — yet.
- Ed Doney, KFOR reporter: Yet is the key word, Kevin. […] Experts are hesitant to push the panic button right now. Could a radiation leak at an underground nuclear waste site in Southeast New Mexico reach Oklahoma?
- Don Hancock, nuclear waste expert: It very much depends on the winds because plutonium and americium can travel a long way.
- Dr. John Nail, Oklahoma City Univ. chemistry professor: Most people will get more radiation exposure from eating bananas than they ever will from this New Mexico repository site.
Published: February 25th, 2014 at 9:21 am ET
- Reports: Plutonium can escape from unfiltered shafts at WIPP — ‘Freakish’ accident “could have long-term effects” — “Anxiety coursing among the people” — ‘Nuke industry profiteers’ tell us “don’t worry, it’s safe… one of deadliest substances known to man” — Future of dump in jeopardy March 3, 2014
- New emails reveal concern over plutonium chain reaction in WIPP containers — “There shouldn’t be a ‘significant’ reaction… criticality safety issues are not my area of expertise” — “Significant amount of plutonium” — No mention of kitty litter May 29, 2014
- “Something did not go right”: Plutonium found outside of nuclear waste shipment — Traveled on public roads — “Unusual… radiation was in a place it shouldn’t be” (VIDEO) #Hanford June 27, 2013
- Gov’t publishes model of WIPP radioactive plume — Plutonium and americium transported to northwest after wind shift — At times in direction of nearby Carlsbad (MAP) March 16, 2014
- ‘Amazing’: Plutonium leak at U.S. nuclear site hidden from public — Official: “A very deliberate cover up… I will use the word that we were lied to” (VIDEO) May 22, 2013