Published: February 13th, 2014 at 12:12 pm ET

Nuclear Hotseat w/ Libbe HaLevy, Feb. 11, 2014 (at 39:00 in):

Charles Bonner, attorney representing US sailors exposed to Fukushima radioactive releases during Operation Tomodachi: We intend to put the nuclear industry on trial here, because it is the misrepresentation from the nuclear industry that nuclear energy is safe that has allowed this particular incident to occur. There’s this false sense of security that these for-profit energy companies such as Tepco, created in the public. The public believes that these power plants are totally safe; in fact Tepco guaranteed the Japanese public that this particular power plant was safe. […] These nuclear power plants threaten the world, the entire planet is threatened.

Bonner: [Radiation-contaminated water] undoubtedly is going to hit the northern coast of California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska — probably by the end of this year or the beginning of next year. This kind of contamination threatens the entire planet and it has left an entire generation of young people now crippled, genetically as well as mentally, as well physically. As you well know radiation doesn’t just affect the person, it causes genetic mutations so it affects the offspring of an irradiated person. So the harm and damage here to the human beings is far reaching, let alone considering the damage to the environment which is ongoing. Tepco is still releasing 300 tons of radiation-contaminated water every day and it’s been going on every day, as it is stated in the lawsuit, since March 11, 2011 — since the earthquake happened. This is a very serious problem. So yes, this lawsuit indicts not only Tepco, but indicts the entire nuclear industry and it requires that citizens of the world demand that these power plants actually be shut down because it is impossible to make them completely safe.

Full interview available here

Published: February 13th, 2014 at 12:12 pm ET

1. “I’ve got people who are bleeding from their behinds, who have sores all over their bodies” -Attorney for U.S. Navy sailors exposed to Fukushima radiation (AUDIO) February 12, 2013
  2. Kyoto Nuclear Professor: “There is no longer any such thing as clean and safe food” after radiation from Fukushima spread around planet — People who advanced nuclear power should be made to eat the extremely contaminated items (VIDEO) May 4, 2012
  3. Another 20 Navy Sailors: USS Ronald Reagan crew with thyroid cancers, leukemia, brain tumors, bleeding, blindness after Fukushima disaster — Young kids developing problems — Gov’t and Tepco involved in major conspiracy (AUDIO) December 12, 2013
  4. TV: “Many young people in Fukushima who are in high school have died suddenly”; Officials “ignore all the problems” — Former Mayor: People are always told “any disease they have is not caused by radiation” (VIDEO) January 17, 2014
  5. TV: 70 Navy sailors in new Fukushima lawsuit — They rode right into plume, could be thousands more seriously exposed — 1 or 2 sick could be coincidence, but 50-60 people in their 20s off one ship? Variety of cancers, blindness, impotence (VIDEO) December 19, 2013

81 comments to US Sailors’ Attorney: Fukushima has left an entire generation of young people crippled physically, mentally, and genetically — Nuclear radiation is threatening entire planet (AUDIO)

• bf9 bf9

I'm no lawyer, maybe Socrates can add, but attempting to sue the entire nuclear industry as a viscous entity won't be too successful, correct? Also I recall TEPCO having some degree of legal immunity, correct? Don't get me wrong I wish them the best and would LOVE to see success but they're practically vertically bouldering up a legal mountain with this one so I hope they have all of the tools and preparation they need.

• charlie3

That lawyer is apparently going to remain America-centric until the end of the world:
      "Bonner: [Radiation-contaminated water] undoubtedly is going to hit the northern coast of California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska"
      And the entire length of British Columbia gets no mention?

• Emmanuel Truthseeker Emmanuel Truthseeker

Not mentioning BC came immediately to my mind, as well.

I was out on the west coast a month ago and I noticed that things have changed. Not as many gulls and I did not see any thing living in the water at the marina in Powell River. The rocks had no marine slime, there were no barnacles, no starfish,… I've been to a lot of coasts in the world and this time, at Powell river, something had changed. The rocks looked as if they had been scrubbed with acid and the water was crystal clear.

As for the mariners suing the entire nuclear industry; good for them. It is an attempt to bring awareness to a very serious discussion. Perhaps their brave action will inspire millions more to join the fight and hold the people, who are responsible, to account. They have known all along how dangerous nuclear power is, hence, there is no hiding behind the, I didn't know, defense. They do and did know and therefore, the people who promote nuclear power and, indeed, the executives of the nuclear power companies must be brought to trial and charged with murder and crimes against the planet and all flora and fauna thereon.

• Nick

There may be a few snags in the legal process in terms of actually getting a satisfactory judgement, but the verdict of history will be clear, something wicked has come our way and it's about time more of us realize it.

The invisibility of radioactive toxins is the only card in the deck of the nuclear industry.

Fukushima has exposed a busted flush for us all to see (if we just get out of our own little shells long enough).

What we CAN benefit from are talking points from this lawsuit….

Such as: "Nuclear radiation is threatening entire planet." and "the contamination to the environment is ongoing."

• GQR2

bf9 i am no lawyer either but i think that's the point,what did they know and when did they know it. What is the protocal. Isn't the Military responsible to know about the realities of radiation and certainly the situation on the ground. THEY KNEW and let those soldiers languish and carry on there for weeks, months, brought their families aboard the ship SSR afterwards.
    This insanity cannot go by without mention and hopefully this suit gets National Attention and won't go away. Let alone go away quietly.

More power to them. Keep it in court. Keep it in the forefront. This has been collusion that has caused beyond the Reagan. They are the sacrificial lambs and they did not have to be.

• weeman

The gloves are off, I hope you are in for the long dirty fight, you must win and set the precedent.
    Our very existance depends on the outcome off this case and it will get much publicity and is set to inform the masses of the misinformation. Step in right direction.
    The question is do we have the time, this will go on for years, decades or squashed in court? Under national security?
    You all know the motto of the NSA, these days it's all secrecy and no privacy.

• SykeWar(DELETED) SykeWar

Absolutely dirty. And the problem with this is, if they're not used fighting with the devil (who really is?) they're gonna lose. Documents will be destroyed or altered, defendants will lie, withhold evidence, etc. Jury tainting, witness threats, people go missing. What's the suicide rate for the military? Ahh… they off'd themselves, too bad so sad. All the prosecution parties need to be under 24 hr. watch. They're going to have to get medical treatment, yes? There's an attack vector – there's dozens. I really pray they don't think this is going to be a stand-up fight. They'll make you pay dearly even if you win.

• johnnyo

"all secrecy and no privacy" …. not sure, were you intentionally quoting an obscure Stones song? either way, rock on

• GQR2

maybe i'm weird. but it i hope its a loud fight. The outcome is in radio active hands anyway. Fukushima has changed everything and the earth's people need to know this. If the suit smashes through the BS even for awhile it will be a great step. Good Luck stay strong litigants !

• Good luck, 'I'm no lawyer'.
    But, coming from a family of lawyers and judges (grandfather, father, two uncles, two brothers, son, three first cousins) and a year of Law myself, it's no longer about 'justice', but about precedent, top quality lawyer skills,etc., all working in a society where our Congressional and Administrative employees now serve $ instead of us, and sophistry about our Constitution. Anything 'nuclear' will be quickly cloaked in secrecy, secrecy, secrecy. I.e. Japan, it is reported, now forbids its doctors to reveal to a patient a diagnosis of Fukushima-related cancer… or jail time.
    An ethical, logical man not too long ago opined:' If you don't cut off the money, nothin's gonna happen'.
    Best wishes to the sailors' lawyer.

• SykeWar(DELETED) SykeWar

"it's no longer about 'justice', but about precedent" Correct. They're going through a court of law, not a court of justice. And unfortunately precedent has no standing anymore. This is a fact today especially since the patriot act or NDAA. Consider something like John Elk v. United States supreme court ruling. The only true precedent today is who survives and who doesn't. All the best of luck tho'.

• hbjon hbjon

But the devil has survival as the main component in its computation on the optimum solution. There will be an appearance of honest legal proceedings and court hearings, but at the end of the day, the devil possesses the insidious weapon to force its will upon the good.

The devil can actually drain common sense and logic from those who seek to mount a credible defense against it. Try to argue your position in a civilized manner with a knife sticking out of your back. Evil is what evil does.

Fear not, tho Good will finally prevail, there will be hell to pay.

• Emmanuel Truthseeker Emmanuel Truthseeker

Twice the Supreme Court of Canada ruled, 'truth is not an issue in this case.'

So, there you have it. The supreme court dismissed truth as evidence. What are we to do? Revolution is the only answer now. What else is left to us when totally corrupt, lying, minions of Lucifer sit on the benches of what used to be, the peoples' courts. The courts today are big business; and that is all they are; big business generating tons of money for the JUST US people who own the charade and use their armed thugs to enforce their idea of JUSTUS on us. It is all so Talmudic and so obviously evil, we have to bring change. We the people have to bring change and convince those lying sons of bitches; those despicable monsters in their ominous black robes that we are no longer accepting their jurisdiction; since the rule of law went out of the window a long time ago. There is no Common Law practiced in the courts; hence the gloves are off. We the people are NOT corporations and will no longer do business with the forces of darkness. Up the Revolution!

• weeman

In the pocket, takes solidarity, every odd number household withholds utility bill, till they cut you off, run extension to even number and pay bill, even numbers turn now, no pay bill.
      I have their attention now, try and keep up, total disruption and overtime.

• gordon

I disagree. I think that people affected by fallout should be most concerned with getting the best possible medical care. There's the obvious treatment, but also epidemiology has to started immediately.

And maybe the courts could be a part of that… but suing TEPCO? What good does that do. I don't understand the strategy at all.

• Gasser Gasser

Rolling Stones: Can't get no Satisfaction

Go here first for gist for down there

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't get no anti nuke satisfaction

I can't get no shut down satisfaction

'Cause I try and I try and I enenews try

I can't get no, I can't get no

When I'm drivin' in my car

And that man comes on the radio

And he's tellin' me more and more

About some useless hormesis information

Supposed to fire my imagination

I can't get no, oh no no no

Hey hey hey, that's what I say

I can't get no safety satisfaction

I can't get no health satisfaction

'Cause I try and I try and I enenews try

I can't get no, I can't get no

When I'm watchin' my worthless TV

And that man comes on to tell me

How safe Nuclear Reactors can be

[Cont]

• Gasser Gasser

[Cont]

But he can't be a man, can't see Plutonium's black smoke

The same smoke polluting you and me

I can't get no, oh no no no

Hey hey hey, that's what I say

I can't get no anti Nuke Lawyer satisfaction

I can't get no Obama Care reaction

Cause I try and I try and I Blog try

I can't get no, I can't get no

When I'm ridin' round the world

And I'm doin' this and I'm signing that

And I'm tryin' to tell the MSM some logical meltdown sense

Who tells me buddy better come back later next week

Cause you see were on a bullshit streak

I can't get no, oh no no no

Hey hey hey, that's what I say

I can't get no, I can't get no

I can't get no F—n’ satisfaction

No POTUSA satisfaction,
      To much stupid war's distraction,

There's no more commonsense interaction

~Gasser Classic~

• Hot and Bothered Hot and Bothered

I hate to think of this as foreshadowing but that's what it looks like to me :(

Belgian Proposal: Terminally Ill Kids Could Choose Euthanasia

This week Belgium is expected to become the first country in the world to allow terminally ill children to choose euthanasia….

• many moons

Nuclear energy is threatening the entire planet!

• Pete

Well, here are the people most directly to be blamed for this "accident". Take note people of japan.

Now I wonder who the major shareholders are…

• Emmanuel Truthseeker Emmanuel Truthseeker

The Japanese men listed as executives of TEPCO, in a former time would have had to commit Hara Kiri for their incompetence and disloyalty. The Samurai would consider these men less worthy than dogs. Today, since the world is 'upside down', war mongers and environmental sophists get peace prizes, American presidents no longer have to prove who they are, and so forth, these despicable men, these leaders of a rogue power company, are still in charge and drawing huge salaries. What a world, eh?

• Socrates

Greenpeace published a legal position paper. In the US we have Price Anderson Act of 1957. Then there are international "conventions." I invite anyone to read the paper. Japan and the US have not signed many of these. There is a chart.

Federal courts are courts of limited jurisdiction. Suing a foreign country is possible. The Widows of 911 sued the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. That case was dismissed but reinstated on appeal. TEPCO could be sued but you would have to try to collect on your judgment in Japan against TEPCO.

Honda has a subsidiary, American Honda Motor Corp. that is the entity usually sued, for example. Suing in Japan means limitations and no jury. So what are US citizens to do? We would need to sue the designer of the Mark I and other American companies.

It is difficult to prove the element of causation…. did radiation from the defendant's negligence cause your cancer or your child's mutation? This is hard to prove to be more likely than not EXCEPT in papillary thyroid cancer in.children.

Court will have to deal with these issues. Consumers will not want to go uncompensated. The days of a nuclear free ride may be over.

Save your child's tissue from his/her papillary thyroid cancer for DNA deletion evidence.

• mairs mairs

The fishing industries of Canada and the US should sue as well.

• gordon

Now that's interesting. My experience is that Trident was one of the largest, if not the largest operation in the Aleutians. I think about what they're going to do if public awareness comes to a point where their products can't be sold in the kind of volume they need to maintain their fleet.

But… those companies, they sell a great deal right back to Japan, not to mention China. They load product straight onto trampers when they work the fresh water spawners in Bristol Bay and what not.

Those guys going after TEPCO, that makes sense. People that are sick, that got sick while in the military, that doesn't make any sense. They need the financial horsepower of the VA system and everyone needs the talent of big agencies like CDC to understand what is actually happening.

How does attacking TEPCO when you need medicine help?

• Alaskan Ice Alaskan Ice

@Socrates:

"Federal courts are courts of limited jurisdiction" . . . "It is difficult to prove the element of causation" . . . "We would need to sue the designer of the Mark I and other American companies" . . . "If a US resident is harmed by a US company, and can prove it is more likely than not that the defendant caused the cancer, and the accident happened in Japan, there is a unique set of facts. The injury occurred here."

What about Japanese citizens.

Understand that Japanese citizens have problems suing TEPCO in Japan.

However, why couldn't you sign up a Japanese homeowner in Fukushima whose property is contaminated (causation not in issue) on a "strict liability" "design defect" theory of liability (SCRAM rods failed to shut down reactor) against the US designer (GE not Tepco) in the jurisdiction where the US designer resides (GE incorporated in Schenectady, New York and headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut)?

Are there other problems with venue given the international nature of the case?

How's your Japanese?

• J.

R.e. "save tissue" :

This is crucial. Patients must demand samples of any tissue biopsied and/or removed during an operation. Forensic pathology is improving all the time. Perhaps some persons or groups with the right credentials and laboratory equipment will help set up a sort of forensic clearinghouse. Marco Kaltofen has submitted court testimony and evidence for lung damage by radioactive isotopes. It may be possible now, or if not now, in future, to link isotopes in patent's tissues to a particular reactor.

• mairs mairs

I was looking up radiation-induced genetic modifications of plants. I keep a type of tropical plant and I knew that the oddest varieties are coming out of Thailand, and that they irradiate them to try to get interesting mutations. I found out it's done all over the world to find mutations that help disease resistance, crop yield, even one radiation mutation that shortened the height of a variety of rice so that it's less likely to fall over, and they use Cobalt 60 mostly. They'll zap a container of seeds, all the way up to irradiating an entire field of thousands of plants.

A researcher said that they will go through 10,000 to 1 million irradiated and DNA-mutated plants to find one beneficial mutation. And these products of cobalt 60 bombardment are in agricultural use. For instance 75% of Texas grapefruit are newer varieties that were produced that way.

So they find 1 in a million plants that have a beneficial mutation that can then pass this mutation down to a bazillion offspring into eternity. And yet with people they say they just don't know how radiation will effect people. Yeah, right. The earth is just one big lab experiment to see what sort of people we will come up with in the next 1,000 years. Of course for every accidental beneficial genetic mutation the nukers give us, there will be a million "discards", but tough luck. We'll just have to take it, as we can't interfere with their profits.

• Socrates

Chemicals can be used as well as x-rays to induce mutations. Hermann Muller received a Nobel Prize for his work with fruit flies. You can google genetic engineering to learn about other methods.

Ionizing radiation is a known carcinogen and is a known mutagenic agent. Most genetic mutations are lethal. Recessive mutations most are the mutations that are passed down to subsequent generations. 20 generations may pass before there is gene expression. 600 common genetic diseases exist. There are thousands less common but possible diseases.

Some politicians stated that the most ridiculous thing they ever hear of was funding fruit fly genetic studies with x-ray-induced mutations. Is there a Dumbass Award?

Complexity of issues favors industry, as does latencies of time.

• Socrates

You might also be able to show that you got lung cancer from a hot particle. Fully body scans, urinalysis, fingernail clippings and hair samples may prove elevated levels of cesium. Strontium is picked up in children's teeth.

I would urge people to seek ways to force the government to do testing and release information. Preserve whatever evidence you have and seek legal advise about important time limitations.

Repeating the tooth fairy studies in the US and Canada is suggested. 89/90 Strontium is mistaken for calcium in children's bones and teeth.
    129/131 iodine damages children's thyroid glands causing developmental brain problems such as cretinism and learning deficits.

An industry can be sued out of business. Asbestos litigation took out many companies. The jury system may be the only thing between you and your children and the grave. Legislators will do nothing to protect you. Regulators believe nuclear power to be safe and clean.

• Ontological Ontological

I had full blown skull cancer from a fuel particle. I cant sue because laws changed etc. They will never profit from this. I was actually told by one of the finest asshole lawyer scum suckers here "you have to be critically injured to do that." My answer. "They cut my face from my lip down under my chin up to my EAR. pealed my face back, cut my JAWS out. And then removed my FIBULA bone from my leg, and used it to rebuild my SKULL and you tell me that is NOT catastrophically injured asshole? These bastards refuse to do ANYTHING if you choose to be a minimalist! Your just a piece of crap to these rich SOB's. So if yer rich no problem if not don't bother.

• GQR2

Ontological My heart goes out to you man.
        it only adds insult to injury the war of red tape,rube goldberg buerocracy and the heartlessness towards people in general. Shopping for health care insurance. What a joke. The only thing they manage in the care, is not to care. Katherine Sebelious and the new insurance scheme is one of the greatest attempted heists in history.

What nobody discusses is what it looks like on the ground. People are being left mostly without much care at all. Care is now so intrusive,people will stay underground. Then we have major public health problems. They don't want what Japan has which is hundreds of thousands of people over 100. Way things are going they won't have many over 70.

• Socrates

I am sorry that your cancer was so bad. Biopsy evidence might help point to a hot particle as having been the cause.

I was a downwinder. My cancer is not one of the listed ones under the compensation act. How about genetic mutations? Not covered or provable.

As morbidity and mortality rises and food and fishing industries are irreparably damaged, people will be looking for ways to seek compensation. There are a million hungry attorneys out there. So why only the USS Reagan case? I expect that there will be lawsuits in the US. Just wait until more people are sick and dying. Medicare can sue for their expenses. Cancer usually takes 2 – 40 years to develop from the time of exposure.

I would like to see a multi-plaintiff lawsuit. GE is now a bank and an insurance company. They designed and knowingly marketed the Mark I after repeated warnings from three of their own engineers, Rickover, Einstein, and many others warned against the peaceful atom and the Mark I in particular. Now millions of people will die from cancer and other illnesses and there will be millions of genetic mutations….

We will see how the courts handle the Fuku/GE cases…. people finally get angry. But many believe that carbon emissions are reduced from nuclear energy. Others believe it is safe, economical and green. When you own the media and use campaign contributions and lobbyists, you control the game. Calling coal dirty is true but only a diversion.

• CodeShutdown CodeShutdown

Socrates says "As morbidity and mortality rises and food and fishing industries are irreparably damaged, people will be looking for ways to seek compensation. There are a million hungry attorneys out there"

Yeah, I want some money out of those government/corp fascists, and my lawyer wants money….of course their lawyers want money out of it.

Using litigation to leverage ecological value; Heres how you can leverage yourself to higher ground; get a log, balance it in the middle, and while standing on one side, press down on the other side with the other foot. No telling how high or how rich you can get that way. Too bad money cant bring our fallen comrades and sea life back again, or undue the ravages of medical treatment

• Emmanuel Truthseeker Emmanuel Truthseeker

To Ontological:

The word is Goy. You are a Goy; 'an animal in human skin.' Hence, it doesn't matter what happens to you. Animals get sick and they die. They, to whom you refer, Ontological, are not human.

I am sad to read about your misfortune. I pray you heal rapidly and the pain goes away really soon. Nobody deserves what you have to endure. I also pray that you will get fair recompense for your suffering. Several million dollars, at the very least.

• Shaker1

While I beleive I understand the system, it's only within the system itself that it makes sense. Crippling or bankrupting a corporation does truly little that may matter. Individuals may find 'relief' (love the phrase in this context) but in the end the system itself, which is what may need change to avoid similar irresponsibility in other matters, doesn't change. Who gets hurt? Is it the shareholders, who rightfully can only be viewed as those who take on risk that hasn't paid as they hoped? As 'risk-takers', they shouldn't even bitch as it's just how it came out. Those who ran the company? They got paid to do it right and to do it wrong.

In the case of asbestos, the dangers of it's use was a perception that came about rather slowly. We'd used the crap for centuries only the level of use increased, and though those who knew of the harm and profited may have been aware before others and still continued, all they lost was a vehicle to generate money. The case here seems quite different. Might we cite Marie Curie? The argument may be only degree of harm. Those who advocated nuclear will just have to find some other investment scheme?

So what justice might there truly be? Ever read Job without the idea that the god portrayed there is the supreme judge? What that god actually says is that justice is a human idea, not his/hers. His/her justice must be accepted on the same order that he/her simply exists and that human question of it is irrelevant to that fact.

• Socrates

Look on the internet for the asbestos documents. They knew in the 1930s. They laughed at the young women working in the industry and dying horrible deaths from mesothelioma. The guys in the board rooms said that it was better that they had jobs. Ha, ha, ha!

That is why juries awarded punitive damages every time.

Japan did not ban asbestos until 1999. They thought it was a conspiracy by American trial lawyers, just as they said their nuclear programs were safe.

The corporation absolutely know these dangers and the documents absolutely prove it. Wake up, your are buying into feeling sorry for them. Just like the poor banks on Wall Street. They have money that should go to victims. They did this intentionally. Like the Pinto cases where Ford did not want to recall the rear-mounted gas tanks because it would be cheaper to just pay the damages. It is all in the documents. Same with nuclear energy. They even hire bloggers….

• zogerke zogerke

Off nuke topic here, on asbestos: doesn't canada still mine and sell chrysotile? and there have in the last 20 years been studies, currupted psuedoscience, (one really bad one called the harvard study, idiots met in a rented room there and called thier study by the name of the school) arguing that asbestos – some forms- are not killers at all, arguing that some asbestiform fibers weren't seen in autopsy…
          It is well known that any small respirable fiber is damaging(stanton's long thin theory- any fiber or particle with width:length ratio of 1:3 or greater, if inhaled , will do harm.) and asbestos is so right there. as i recall, asbestos, aside from causing mesothelioma (hardening of the lining of the pleura) and asbestosis (scarring of lungs)- asbestos causes cancer by – embedding in alveoli- thats the smallest bulbs in lung where air exchange happens…and then the immune system attacks the embessed there. It irritates and inflames. and then the damage from the microphages, from the immune system onslught- damages cells and that adds to trigger of cancer forming- from corrosiveness and cell damage almost like a weird auto immune response- the body wants to get rid of the invading foreign fiber- which WILL NOT decay – and the immune system itself triggers damage in response…on top if the fiberous needles embedded in you most vital lung tissue….THEY/ SCIENCE AND DOCTORS HAVE KNOWN ABOUT ASBESTOS DAMAGE FROM EXPOSURE, FOR CENTURIES…..

• zogerke zogerke

asbestos was used back in charlemagns time ..it is cheap, it does not burn……and i remember studying references from england in the 1800s where doctors attest to lung damage from mining & manufacturing asbestos……educated western sciences have known of asbestos dangers for centuries….though they came to the forefront after usage spikes with industrial revolution…..but it was so CHEAP and USEFUL. Sold widely, i=used widely. When I was a kid I loved geology- My parents purchased for me rock sets including chunks of chrysotile (maybe amosite/ who knows?) i could pick apart myself and play with….

• Shaker1

zogerke, that was exactly my point, and you stated it well. "but it was so CHEAP and USEFUL. Sold widely, i=used widely."

The problems of asbestos were known for centuries.

When one looks at the tobacco industry that may be a better model for this, and a better model for what can go wrong. Natural tobacco may not be as harmful as what they were doing with the product, just as natural radiation left where it is and simply what it is. When tobacco companies added anything to that tobacco is the point at which responsibility for its effects became theirs. Once users decided to separate and concentrate the naturally ocurring forms of the uranium, it became the responsibility of those who did that.

As a whole (but not wholly) convinced that there are benefits, the practice was adopted, incorporated into the system and, like tobacco, once there it's difficult to get rid of. Wasn't the tobacco settlement greater than the idea of personal choice that one has in smoking, such as second-hand smoke? But, christ, even at that point it runs into problems, with Oregon forcing introduction of tobacco with some chemical component to make the burning less self-supportive (you have to puff to keep it going) in direct contradiction to the chemical additive complaint. There's that disassociation that I mentioned. Once it becomes part of the 'system', all manner of strange things happen through 'reasoning'.

I just hope it's not so much here with these people.

• Shaker1

So one hopes that the system recognizes these individual's pain and compensates them for their suffering? I'm with likely many here in feeling that there's a disassociation from the justice that I'd mentioned that is the human idea. And it quite amazes me sometimes while the suffering goes on we argue like children in some arbitrarily made up game, wasting time and energy that might be altogether more expensive itself than simply getting on with the payment and be done.

I sincerely wish these damaged individuals recieve comfort for their suffering in a timely manner, rather than the system taking its time, the risk going on and able to generate the cash to pay these people off while harm to others still exists. In reality, then, 'they' won again, using money today that could help these victims in what amounts to racketeering, like allowing a dope dealer charged with the crime to keep selling dope to pay the legal fees. Isn't this what Tepco actually is at this moment, an intentional scapegoat for the poor decisions of society, but also an intentional participant for as long as they last in paying the judgement?

Socrates, just understand that I had to express this, and that it's pretty much off the cuff. I hope you and others who are schooled so well in the system can bring relief to us all, but, as I think I understand, it may be too much to ask. No one should be asked to be a saviour. Just do the direct victims well if you can.

• Ontological Ontological

The best the very tenured oncologist, at UCLA was say it was a very aggressive carcinogen. They knew by a comment I had made, that I suspected it was dust from Fukushima the timing was right. For them to make anything "official", their tenure would disallow that. Translation, this esteemed doctor let me know in the only way he could, because he knew I was smart enough to understand his professional indication. I had informed him, that I knew many details of his research in immunofluorescence.

• Socrates

Oncological,

The time sequence of the exposures are important. I hire experts to form opinions for court. Sometimes all they can say is that a certain exposure "may" have contributed. A mere possibility is not enough. It must be a cause to a reasonable medical probability.

But the cause does not have to be proved to a scientific certainty. The judge is the gatekeeper of evidence. The jury decides which expert is more credible.

Yo have heard of "junk" science. That is weak evidence allowed by a judge to be presented to a jury. Often epidemiological studies show some correlation, for example.

Best to you. Proving causation needs a biopsy or chromosomal studies and a known dose-response by toxicologist and pathologist as well as an oncologist. A DNA fingerprint in papillary childhood thyroid cancer is available by a known deletion on chromosome 7. A hot particle might be seen in a lung biopsy. If you lived in Portland in March 2011, that might be enough proof if the cancer took three years to develop.

• weegokiburi weegokiburi

Regardless of the legalities. If nothing else it helps keep the story mainstream news.

• Nick

Main Stream News……..yawn.

Like it really matters now.

No, if folks want/need information about Fukushima, it's out there. Yeah it's a bit cloudy, but some of us have figured out what is going on. I don't rely on anything anymore besides my own instincts, and so far I have to admit, I have had a solid handle on the Fukushima crisis all along.

When you first saw Unit #3 blow sky high, did you really truly believe it was a "simple" hydrogen explosion? Did you ignore the possibility of dangerous radiation being unharnessed beyond humans' ability to "control?"

I have a vivid recall of 3/11/11 and the days that followed. I remember being awestruck by the videos of the tsunami and horrified by the explosions of Units #1 and #3.

Heck, on the night of 3/10/11 I had asked my sons if they had seen the China Syndrome? I explained how dangerous nuclear technology was and we ended the evening watching You-Tube stuff about TMI, which I had to tell them was worse than we were ever told (1/3 of the core melted and dusted).

That night before 3/11/11 haunts me to this day. Did I have a glimmer of the future that night? Did I
    cringe at the thought that maybe someday, we all would regret our dabbling in fission?

I don't know.

All I know is we had all really get up to speed with our new reality. Fukushima is forever.

• john dpugh

Nick Well said. It just bothers me that of all the news networks of all the countries , of millions and billions spent on media and we cant find a reliable source of information . That is just sad.
      I have to spend , sometimes hours , to search through several sites , to follow some discussions and only then i can get some information of what is really going on .
      Where are all those price winning journalists ? Since when did journalism become shills for the governments?
      If journalism is gone , the truth is gone as well , and that is a very dangerous place to be at IMO.
      What kind of a world are we living in , makes you wonder doesnt it ?
      I just hope they dont destroy internet as well .

• gordon

The media, I think that part of the problem in their lack of reporting is not mentioned often: they do not know what they're talking about and checking these facts is hard.

Or, maybe they're not reporting because they don't know what to say. If you call an editor, newspapers I'm talking about, they generally say a few different things:

1. What source are you talking about? Here I usually say that I'm reading TEPCO directly, or translations of TEPCO briefings. I avoid saying that I'm talking about a blog, even if the translation is from a blog, for obvious reasons.

2. They will say that marketing doesn't think there's an audience for it. This also kind of makes sense (with newspapers), so I don't ever respond much to that.

3. They'll say that they are aware of the topic (whatever event/measurement you're talking about), but that it's not important. I'll usually talk to them about the idea of erring on the side of caution, but if you get too wordy they try to get rid of you, typically by transferring you to marketing of all people.

As a side note, it's the Wall Street Journal that will go on about it all day. You wouldn't think it, but that paper seems to be most interested, for some reason.

I consider TV to be an absolute waste of time so I don't know anything about them.

• Socrates

True, Nick.

Game over when #3 blew. We are downwind and down current. Where do people think all that stuff goes?

• tsfw tsfw

"Hi Everyone….. Sailors from the USS Ronald Reagan have filed an renewed lawsuit against Tokyo Electric. The nuke-powered aircraft carrier was heavily dosed as 3 Fukushima reactors melted and 4 exploded. Now these young service people, mostly in their twenties, are suffering a wide range of radiation-related diseases like the ones that surfaced at Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, the Bomb tests and elsewhere. On the SOLARTOPIA GREEN POWER & WELLNESS SHOW ( http://prn.fm/green-power-wellness21114/ ) we discuss the case with Lieutenant Stephen Simmons, who has suffered terrible health problems since the exposure, and attorneys Paul Garner and Charles Bonner, who are handling the case.

A full article on the situation appears at the environmental website EcoWatch:
    U.S. Sailors Sick From Fukushima Radiation File New Suit Against Tokyo Electric Power

Citing a wide range of ailments from leukemia to blindness to birth defects, 79 American veterans of 2011’s earthquake/tsunami relief Operation Tomadachi (“Friendship”) have filed a new $1 billion class action lawsuit against Tokyo Electric Power.

The suit includes an infant born with a genetic condition to a sailor who served on the USS Ronald Reagan as radiation poured over it during the Fukushima melt-downs, and an American teenager living near the …

The petition to support the sailors is linked at http://www.nukefree.org."

• watching the emergence of fuku into the realm of flesheating disease right in front of us and people still whistle walking by the graveyards… its disgusting.

• tpak tpak

And now the WHO is setting us all up for what is to come…

Global cancer rates to skyrocket by 70% over next 20 years as conventional medicine fails

"As far as the latest WHO report, this expected increase in new cancer cases has already been dubbed an imminent "human disaster," according to the U.K.'s Guardian. Unless the governments and medical systems of the world make a rapid switch to focusing on prevention rather than treatment, WHO says, the devastation that is soon to come, both in terms of unsustainable medical costs and widespread societal loss, will be unprecedented."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/043902_cancer_rates_conventional_medicine_global_disease.html#ixzz2tEGy8eaY

• We Not They Finally

Wait a minute! Wasn't it WHO that assured us that nothing was wrong?

Did they at least have the sheer human decency to say WHY the exploding cancer epidemic? Otherwise they are still worth their weight in crap, and should be jailed instead of pontificating on the world's medical problems. Maybe there can be a buddy system set up: Every WHO official gets to share their jail cell with someone from the IAEA.

• SykeWar(DELETED) SykeWar

Jail? Who said anything about jail? ;-)

• tpak tpak

Actually in the link they mention pesticides, GMOs, fluoride, chlorine and mammograms as causes for the increase in cancer. But not a word about anything nuclear and deafening silence regarding fuku. it is frightening to see the WHO admitting this. The writing is on the wall. I recently came across a mutated apple and mutated clementine from Cali and yesterday there was a horrifically mal-formed grape in my sons fruit cup. What the hell are we supposed to eat now? What – if any – food is safe???

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

NUCLEAR RADIATION RUINING ALL LIFE . . .

And yet government leaders allow nuclear to continue.

We must decommission it.

All of it.

• We Not They Finally

I HOPE that this lawsuit gets to trial here in the U.S. But I also want to know if veterans' groups are out there with this. Their voice will carry weight.

• Capt. Nemo Capt. Nemo

Consider the history of the USA. As a matter of Federal gov policy the Native Americans were genocided. Consider the history of Japan. Nanking was destroyed along with 500,000 Chinese. These are indications of the potential of these two nations who are hardly unique. Would the USA allow its citizens to be sickened by radiation to please an industry? Of course. Would the Japanese gov worry too much about a million people in Fukushima Prefecture? Certainly not. Nations as such have no souls and no empathy or sympathy. Like their little nephews and nieces, the international corporations, they have no problem trading blood for money. Do not count on ethics or morality. Business ethics is a for show and tell–not for reality.

• We Not They Finally

Yes, I want to see a trial, and yes, I want to see massive publicity. But part of me also wants something like a quick out-of-court settlement — not likely, but possibly if they think that the publicity would be damaging?

These sailors and their families need help NOW. We saw what happened with (for example) the Exxon Valdez. By the time there were settlements, many of the plaintiffs were dead.

• Totally well said Captain Nemo. Could add the callousness of government to that other conversation. Yes tobacco is a known carcinogen and yes it's legal and yes we tax the craps out of it so no it's never going to go away. Asbestos. Yes it's mined here in Canada and yes it's illegal here in Canada and not used but it's legal in India so yes we export it and make money off of it. Also mining uranium which is legal and digging up the tarsands and producing fossil fuel which is carcinogenic and creates greenhouse gas. All these carcinogenic activities are legal. Growing hemp which I'm told is not a carcinogen, eats carbon, gives oxygen, could be used to replace some carcinogenic plastics is illegal. Google it is a long list of known carcinogens most of which are Zealand part of their economy. No kidding cancer rates are rising and fukushima just one aspect of this problem. More politicians and executive types in jail please.

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

which is legal…these carcinogenic activities are legal. Might be locking up lots of people…

• And might I add God Bless the American sailors doing their duty. I don't believe a ship like US Reagan, equipped for nuclear war and nuclear powered and possibly carrying nuclear weapons did not have sophisticated radiation detection equipment on board. Those poor kids were knowingly exposed for the politicians idea of national security. Good luck with the case.

• Tedd Tedd

Why do you guys keep carrying on like this lawsuit will go anywhere?

USA will take care of that. The media wont mention it. As always very few will know.

Talked to my online pet food company today about why are you selling fish products for our pets?

He gave me the usual corporate bullshit. I finally told him to drop Cable and upgrade to Direct TV. I told him he should just STFU and I hung up.

Our stupid species will get exactly what it deserves.

• Hot and Bothered Hot and Bothered

I know right? Everybody is stuck in a television fog.
      If it doesn't entertain them they just don't want to hear it.

I think we could get way more things done at fukushima if we turned it into a reality tv show!
      Not even kidding! So sad :(

• Alaskan Ice Alaskan Ice

@Tedd:"Why do you guys keep carrying on like this lawsuit will go anywhere?

USA will take care of that."

Perhaps but two things are true that make now different than before:

1) Nowadays, the corruption leaves more traces, phone records, credit card receipts, banking records of business deals, etc. For example, suppose a sweetheart business deal precipitates a phone call from a benefactor to a trusted colleague of a judge, they all leave records that persist. . .

2) Our current economic model is not sustainable far into the future. The phenomena of non-inflationary credit expansion and money creation ended with peak oil in 2007. Globalist wealth on the backside of peak oil is now predicated on suppressing commodity prices with derivatives and carrying hidden losses forward with ZIRP. While simultaneously avoiding shortages by reducing demand to meet production shortfalls, either through some sort of carbon tax/derivatives scam or through national bankruptcies as they "notice" that sacrificial nations without guns like Greece or Ireland are somehow more in debt than the rest and call in their markers, collapsing their consumer economies, one by one. All while trying to sop up the liquidity accelerated debt printing using anything non-resource intensive (bitcoins, etc)

So, maybe the lawsuit will go nowhere because of inappropriate actors, but that inappropriate action will leave a persistent trace,

. . . evidence for a future prosecutor's day.

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

Look at what this officer from the USS Reagan is going thru right now.

This is outrageous. Justicce for our troops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Captain of that ship must bee brought up on charges. It was his responsibility.

• KANYUN atomicistheword

"US Sailors’ Attorney: Fukushima has left an entire generation of young people crippled physically, mentally, and Genetically… "

Shouldn't the word be generations, not generation. Then again mother nature might be seeking justice if we cannot have it. Reminds me of the BBC Documentary "The day the earth nearly died". It was about a massive amount of methane being released into the atmosphere, you know something like a pacific ocean turning into big giant sulphur lake. Then causing an ice age. That took thousands of years, I'm sure with the technology we have today we can significantly advance that time margin. for those interested here is a link, get it before it disappears…..

The Day The Earth Nearly Died BBC Horizon [Documentary]

• KANYUN atomicistheword

opse

Don't know where I got ice age from, must be thinking of atomic winters. Bloody multitasking brain. Methane release causing man made increased temperature climate extinction change. Same conclusion, though.

Just think what world resources could do in mitigating disaster. Oh well let's watch the Olympics and play angrybirds. At least we try to get the message out, for thousands of years our ancestors sent this message through time. Pride is the enemy of mankind. Anyone for an apple? Pectin is known to help in radiation sickness.

• paschn

I'm afraid we ain't seen nuthin' yet. Once the Synagogue finishes off our economy and collapses what's left of an already co-opted government, you'll see well-armed Neo-CHEKA "youth groups" begin moving about to "deal with" all those they designate "domestic terrorists";

Veterans, political "dissidents", (insert those who are unhappy with the direction this nation is being taken), secessionists, ant-GMO. One look at how the Dept. of Homeland Security has "modified" their original charter to "protect" us from foreign terrorists, their insidious creeping into all aspects of our civil liberties and finally, Israel's training of our Sycophants-in-Blue, (cops), in how to "deal with" domestic terrorists a cognizant citizen can see the similarities to what has happened here and what began the horror which occurred in Imperial Russia; The Russian "Revolution", (insert "regime change"). search the Occidental Observer and locate their translation of Solzhenitsyn's "200 years Together", chapter eighteen. The similarities are frightening. The man lived through it. Sixty million Russian Christians/Muslims didn't and that is the toll in Russia alone, it doesn't take into account those slaughtered through out much of Eastern Europe. Why else would a benevolent government pass the NDAA, nullify Posse Comitatus, Habeas Corpus? Very scary times.

• pjrsullivan

If nuclear materials were known to be exceptionally hazardous before the 1920s, might there not be a plan here?

If only this one nuclear power plant at Hitachi-GE has the potential to poison out the entire surface of our planet, leaving us facing sickness and genetic mutations, might there not be a plan at work here?

That is, could this radioactive poisoning be something that is being done to us on purpose? If so, might the creation of the nuclear power industry itself be nothing other than a cover to Install technology of genocide in our midst?

Nuclear technology is the product of Jewish science. Using the power of our purse they have built tens of thousands of nuclear bombs and several hundreds of nuclear power plants. Might weap Judah not have a plan here for us? Might the dirty bomb reactors not be his back up shot if he missed with his tens of thousands of nuclear blast weapons?

Only one melting reactor and the entire human race is threatened with loss of clean air, with a nuclear famine menacing right behind it. Our fields are being systematically poisoned. In only two months Hitachi-GE may be unstoppable. If not stopped before then, it may burn down and explode on contact with ground water. This is understood.

Why then has it not been shut down yet? Does it not all return to who it is that has the authority to issue our money?

Must we not act on our own plan to protect ourselves here?
    STRIKE THEM OUT.

Must labor not take our purse into its…

• rajak223 rajak223

Revelation 2:23

It is what it is.

Behold, I will throw her on a bed of sickness, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of her deeds. 23'And I will kill her children with pestilence, and all the churches will know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts; and I will give to each one of you according to your deeds. 24'But I say to you, the rest who are in Thyatira, who do not hold this teaching, who have not known the deep things of Satan, as they call them– I place no other burden on you.…

Id say the same thing in an Islamic country with my hands tied behind my back getting ready to get their head sawed off as well. So please spare me the sacrifice brave men and women who say they fight so i can say what i just said.

You fight and serve a bunch of greedy narcissistic sociopathic descendants of nephilim whos main goal is to make more $nake paper and shaft the stupid sheep.

Survival of the fittest you say?
    So be it.