Watch the video here
The SimplyInfo research team provides an analysis of the newly released footage from inside the Unit 1 containment vessel at Fukushima Daiichi:
They took a brief look inside containment and found some rather unexpected large debris inside.
This was very unexpected as the containment inspections of unit 2′s containment showed no big debris, just bubbled paint and some small flakes of unknown origin.
These debris pieces were found in unit 1 containment above the 1st floor grate and appear to partially consist of metal that has a shiny appearance. The hydrogen explosions in the reactor buildings are assumed to have happened outside of the containment structure in the reactor buildings. TEPCO has claimed the hydrogen leaked back into the refueling floor during the venting attempt. This large debris inside the containment of unit 1 shows something explosive happened inside containment at some point.
The conditions inside the unit 2 containment and torus room and also the unit 3 torus room show a completely different set of conditions compared to unit 1. Exactly what this means is not clear at this time. As we know more or determine what may have happened at unit 1 we will release a new report.
Published: September 27th, 2012 at 1:38 pm ET
- Watch: New Large Debris Found In Unit 1 Containment (PHOTOS & VIDEO) October 17, 2012
- “Impossible” that bulk of melted fuel is in Unit 1 containment — Charred vessel could indicate explosive event inside October 15, 2012
- Gundersen: Video inside Reactor 1 may show seismic damage — Japanese experts suggest unit was having severe problems before tsunami September 27, 2012
- New footage inside Fukushima Unit 1 containment vessel — Thick steam, blackened piping (PHOTOS & VIDEO ) October 10, 2012
- Yomiuri: Video believed to show parts of internal structure in Fukushima Unit 1 containment vessel scattered around — 3-inch-thick lead plate disappeared (DIAGRAM) September 29, 2012