Title: Commencement of Water Shielding Wall Construction
Source: Tepco Press Release
Date: Apr 24,2012
The water shielding wall will be installed in front of the existing seawalls of Units 1 to 4 to prevent further contamination of the ocean due to the leakage of ground water, for which we have conducted preparatory including geological survey per measurement and boring inspection thus far.
(Previously announced on October 26, 2011)
As a license to landfill publicly-owned seawater surface is required to install the water shielding wall, we have applied for the license to Fukushima Prefecture on February 7, 2012. Since the necessary investigation procedures have been finished and the license was issued by Fukushima Prefecture on April 20, 2012, we will start construction of the water shielding wall from April 25.
Appendix: Outline of Water Shielding Wall Installation (PDF 136KB)
Even though we are making utmost efforts to prevent the water accumulated within the buildings of Units 1 to 4 from leaking into the groundwater, we are planning to install a water shielding wall of steal sheet pile having enough impermeability in front of the existing seawalls of Units 1 to 4, just in case of the accumulated water leaking in to the ground water to prevent further contamination of the ocean.
Published: April 24th, 2012 at 2:18 pm ET
- 100 foot deep wall at Fukushima plant still being built, says Tepco — Trying to keep underground contamination from ocean — Years from completion? October 25, 2012
- Fukushima Daiichi worker thinks ground at plant causing construction delays and Tepco giving false explanations June 16, 2012
- ‘Great wall of Fukushima’ to be built underground? — Structure around reactors proposed April 27, 2013
- TV: “Barrier is not holding” at Fukushima plant — All efforts have failed to stop very high levels of radioactive materials flowing into ocean — Officials: More water’s coming in than we were pumping out — Workers now trying to prevent overflow (VIDEO) November 19, 2014
- BBC: “Huge buildup” of radioactive groundwater at Fukushima plant — Expert concerned “contamination has spread to all sorts of places” (VIDEO) August 5, 2013