Title: If Nuclear Disaster Strikes, Steer Clear of Japan’s Playbook
Source: Wall St. Journal
Author: JOHN BUSSEY
Date: Sept. 12, 2013
[...] the government’s belated call to arms showed how dangerously haphazard the response to [the festering Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster] has been.
We now watch as tons of contaminated water spill daily into the sea off Fukushima. It’s a new phase of the crisis. It’s a danger to Japan. [...]
[...] [Tepco] is frantically trying to halt hundreds of tons of groundwater that flow into the site daily. A large amount is washing through the broken buildings, picking up radioactive material and carrying it into structures or out to sea.
Tepco is pumping the contaminated water into an ever-expanding mushroom field of containment tanks—some 1,000 to date. As the world watches, the utility appears to be losing the battle. Leaks above and below ground are sprouting. Now Tepco and the government want to freeze a mile-long stretch of earth in an unparalleled experiment to block water before it reaches the site. Construction will take two years.
Sound desperate? [...]
See also: NBC Nightly News: Urgent situation after frightening discovery at Fukushima -- Planned ice wall shows Tepco is grasping at straws and can't stop plant leaking like a sieve -- Now almost 900 straight days of contamination flowing in Pacific (VIDEO)
Published: September 15th, 2013 at 9:56 am ET
- ‘Growing Alarm’: 25 trillion becquerels of Fukushima radioactive material leaks into ground — Kyodo News Advisory: Exact source of extreme contamination unknown; Tank missing 300,000 liters (VIDEO) August 20, 2013
- Wall St. Journal: Fukushima leaks are “massive public health issue” — Obviously this could spread throughout Pacific and get into food supply (VIDEO) August 6, 2013
- Fukushima Worker: I’m worried about pressure forcing water up through cracked ground at nuclear plant — Level now rising on mountain side August 18, 2013
- Fukushima worker concerned about ground settlement at plant — What will happen when Tepco starts pumping up 100s of tons of groundwater? May 22, 2012
- Radiation level to spike at Fukushima plant — Blamed on recent radioactive leaks (PHOTO) May 7, 2013