Title: Fukushima Daiichi: The Battle for Nuclear Containment
Source: Wall St. Journal
Date: August 6, 2013
The WSJ’s Michael Arnold and Phred Dvorak discuss the challenges for containment
At 3:00 in
Michael Arnold: Obviously this is a massive public health issue [...] if it gets into the ocean obviously this could be spread throughout the Pacific, could also get into the food supply.
At 4:00 in
Phred Dvorak: A lot of experts say you just can’t stop the water [...] it’s very hard to actually stop it. What many people are saying is that Tepco will eventually have to process water, remove as much of the radioactive elements as possible and dump a certain amount in to the ocean that’s ‘relatively’ clean. [...]
Arnold: Certainly this is a story we’re going to stay on top off [...] Something that much of the world is watching.
Published: August 6th, 2013 at 1:26 pm ET
- Marine Expert on MSNBC: Months of uncontrolled radioactive releases from Fukushima a problem for Pacific, radionuclides building up in food chain — Health threat to Americans not likely if leaks ended soon after 3/11 (VIDEO) February 4, 2014
- NBC Nightly News: ‘Has Radiation Entered Our Food Supply Chain?’ — USA Today: News getting worse at Fukushima, widespread suspicion leaks into ocean ‘underreported’ — Expert: “I’m not trying to be alarmist… but how will we know it’s safe” for West Coast? (VIDEO) March 9, 2014
- Energy Journal: Fukushima “an ongoing crisis… an international issue, its important we all keep our eye on it… we owe it to the Pacific” — Nuclear fuel dropped into sub-basement and melted through some concrete, no one can get in to see where it is now (AUDIO) April 25, 2014
- Food products ‘heavily contaminated’ by Fukushima found in US; Over 30,000 pCi/kg of cesium, also had Cobalt-60 and Antimony-124 — FDA: We found no Fukushima contamination in US food supply during routine monitoring November 3, 2014
- NBC Nightly News: Concerns are growing tonight, especially out West, about the continuing radiation threat from Fukushima — Japanese Diplomat: U.S. food supply stands to be contaminated (VIDEO) September 3, 2013