In Containment: The people of Minamisoma, 15 months after the meltdown – Part 4/5
Camera: Ian Thomas Ash/ Koji Fujita
Published by DocumentingIan
Published: July 17, 2012
Hiroshi: Let’s head towards the mountains.
Ian: It’s getting fairly high right now.
Cameraman: What is it now?
Ian: It’s 5!
Man: It’s 60… 80… This is impossible! It’s 100!! It’s 300!
Hiroshi: It just hit 500!
Ian: Turn back! Turn back! Turn back!
Man: This is not good.
(Camera cuts to black; Unidentified screams)
Man: Oh my god.
Cameraman: I think we’re in trouble. That was bizarre. I felt it as well.
In response to a question from arclight about the ending, the filmmaker writes:
It’s difficult to explain, but basically, we drove into a radiation hotspot and something happened in the car. What was it? Even the four members who were in the car don’t all agree on exactly what occurred. I hope viewers can watch this (along with Part 5) and decide for themselves what they think happened.
NOTE: The radiation measurements are in millirem per hour (mR/h). 1 mR/h equals 10 microsieverts per hour (microSv/h). The top reading of 500 mR/h in the film is equal to 5,000 microSv/h.
Published: July 18th, 2012 at 1:38 am ET
- Film crew gets tested after “bizarre” incident in high radiation area — “I’ve never been this nervous in my life” (VIDEO) July 21, 2012
- ZDF Bureau Chief: Very high radioactive dose of 65 microsieverts per hour in Fukushima City — “Informed officials 3 month ago, nothing happened until today!” — Many children pass by everyday (PHOTO) May 17, 2013
- Newspaper: Door-to-door surveys revealed clusters of Fukushima residents with persistent nose bleeds, diarrhea — Fallout refugees talk about bizarre rashes, high fevers, more December 8, 2012
- Mother/Farmer: We found 75% of Fukushima contaminated with high levels of radioactivity — This should be declared a ‘radiation control area’ (VIDEO) October 2, 2012
- Local Official: Pharmacist says prescription drug use, high blood pressure on the rise after Fukushima disaster — “No wonder; We are exposed to high level of radiation every second” July 5, 2012