Published: November 23rd, 2013 at 7:51 am ET

Extraction of fuel from Unit 4 (video taken underwater), Nov. 20, 2013:

Watch the fuel assembly extraction here

Fuel removal work at the common pool in Fukushima Daiichi NPS Unit 4, Nov. 22, 2013:

Watch the cask transfer into the common pool here

Published: November 23rd, 2013 at 7:51 am ET

1. New underwater footage inside Unit 3 pool shows fuel rack covered in rubble (VIDEO) September 24, 2012
  2. Report: Nuclear material came off unused fuel assembly removed from Fukushima Unit 4 pool — Cobalt-60 at 1,400,000,000 Bq/kg — Debris “felt like grit” (PHOTOS) March 26, 2013
  3. Gundersen: Spent fuel likely to break when pulled from Fukushima Unit 4 pool — Racks have been distorted; Fuel rods overheated — Suspects some will be stuck there for long, long time (AUDIO) September 9, 2013
  4. Nuclear Industry Report: ‘Reduced stability’ of fuel pool in Fukushima Unit 4; Admits there’s damaged fuel inside? — Gundersen: Fuel racks moved and damaged; Fallen debris distorted tops (AUDIO) September 27, 2013
  5. Confirmed: 35-ton machine “sitting on top of the spent fuel rack in the pool” of Reactor No. 3 — Extent of damage not yet known (VIDEOS) April 17, 2012

57 comments to Watch: Underwater close-up of fuel assembly pulled from rack at Fukushima Unit 4 — Debris seen floating inside pool (VIDEOS)

• orsobubu orsobubu

LENR Transmutation technology (aka "cold fusion") to decontaminate radioactive wastes:

"Please note that Toyota's recent experimental confirmation of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries’ (MHI) neutron-catalyzed LENR-based transmutation method effectively provided a proof-of-concept for disposal of rather nasty radioactive Cesium (Cs-137) commonly found in nuclear fission reactor wastes into other heavier, non-radioactive stable elements/isotopes using MHI’s permeation process. In principle, a variant of MHI's LENR method with larger neutron fluxes would be extremely flexible and should work on any other type of radioactive isotopes that can capture low energy neutrons, e.g., very dangerous Strontium-90, many long-lived transuranics such as Neptunium (please see http://wwwndc.jaea.go.jp/nds/proceedings/2004/harada_h.pdf ), etc.. "

Then I post here again the link to another new promising technology:

• 富岡_Blue_Heron 富岡_Blue_Heron

One minute into the 2013.11.22 Fuel removal work at the common pool in Fukushima Daiichi NPS Unit 4 video (on the tepco page the above links open) The base of the assembly is shown trailing a cloud of dust as it is extracted from the cask. What the hey!?? Someone please opine…

• jec jec

Anyone checking the surge in radiation at Fukushima during the fuel extraction period? Topped out at 148,000 at the netc.com Japan site. Might have been higher. Dropping down a bit today. But was high during this period. Anyone have any ideas why? (sarcasm).

• Jec, right now netc.com shows;

147000
      Station ID 6:1181341550 Fukushima Dai-ichi, Fukushima, JP
      nSv/h: current 147000 Low 140000 High 155000
      Average 149258, Deviation 3505

I am guessing when you looked all the sites around Fukushima showed green, which means average for that station. Does not mean a safe level just average for that station. 148,000 nano Seiverts /hr is 148 µSv/hr a typical reading for that station over the last summer I've been watching. Compare to typical .11 µSv/hr background in Vancouver Canada. Figures are provided by Tepco and the cynic in me isn't sure tepco would report a crisis accurately. But if you do look at http://netc.com/ please note the "A" symbol which is the highest warning level at Shreveport Louisiana.

381
      Station ID 5:613 Shreveport, LA, US
      CPM: current 381 Low 188 High 386
      Average 229, Deviation 31.8
      (CPM of Gamma in energy range 600-800keV)

To me this is higher then average radiation in one place in USA and my guess is some local event who knows? Nuclear sub venting? This Canadian doesn't know what nuke facilities if any are in Shreveport but it is a commercial harbor. All you Americans see high radiation and blame it on Fukushima but perhaps you should be looking at your local 40 year old nuke plants and by the way good luck finding out what your military is doing with fleet of nuke subs aircraft carriers and A-bomb maintenance and experiments and production of depleted uranium ordinance.

• flatsville

Mark,

>>>…. All you Americans see high radiation and blame it on Fukushima but perhaps you should be looking at your local 40 year old nuke plants and by the way good luck finding out what your military is doing…<<<

Yeah. No joke.

But, the 50 car pile up in Japan is so much more interesting than the chain reaction that could take place on the road infront of your own home if you don't WORK to get road conditions changed.

• Michele

There are dangerous conditions in the Gulf states that you are discounting with your response in regard to the information given by Mark. There have been increased earthquake activity shown on the monitors especially at the Bayou Corne Salt Dome collapse. The "sinkhole" has grown to 25 acres in size and it is still growing.

It relates to the Fukushima nightmare because of the nuclear waste deposited within the carved out salt domes as well as stored Butane. That waste has already contaminated the Mississippi aquifer that serves 70,000 people. The Methane levels are increasing too. What we have is a ticking time bomb that will inevitably explode. When it does, there are 17 nuclear power plants and 2 large outdoor storage areas for Depleted Uranium that are placed along the New Madrid Fault Line. Plus, we have our own 40 year old nuclear plants in the US.

I have followed the comments on this site and Mark is not the only one to say that your focus on Japan results in an unawareness to other nuclear dangers. In this case, right under your own nation.

• Look I'm not saying radiation from Fukushima isn't drifting over North America or trying to diminishing the Fukushima disaster but please American friends realize that there are many decrepit nuclear facilities in your country and especially military facilities operate secretly, perhaps rightly so for National Security but that gives them the ability to do whatever without public knowledge. The reality is getting a high value radiation reading only tells you the level is high. No way of knowing where the radiation is coming from. A Geiger counter can't identify isotopes so how do you know where the radiation is coming from? A smart operator would vent his power plant now smiling as he knows abnormal readings will be blamed on Fukushima. You Americans are great people. Worked with one yesterday who bought me coffee and I had to explain what "Double Double" means. Two creams two sugars. But your government sucks and the nuclear oligarchy it sponsors, civilian and military is pure evil. Peace.

• Kassandra

On the one hand what you say makes sense Mark.

On the other hand, I have detected definite patterns that begin with 'events' spotted on the webcams followed 3-5 days later by spiking rad levels in US west coast cities under the jet stream, followed by spiking rads in Colorado and the Dakotas or Minnesota, depending upon where the jet stream moves north over.

I spoke to an EPA tech at the Washington DC office in the winter of 2011 and he ADMITTED that these patterns exist and even explained to me how to use the NOAA HYSPLIT system to track retroactively wind patterns at different elevations

Yes its true that US/Canadian nuclear plants are venting and leaking and deteriorating and are at risk of Fukushima type explosions in the event of power outages, earthquakes, etc.

But Fukushima is a mega-disaster that has emitted unprecedented volumes of radiation (from a single source) and has the potential to create an ELE if the site is abandoned due to rising rad levels.

• Kassandra, that is awesome that they do in fact track winds at different elevations. I didn't know that was being done. I never knew winds blow in different directions at different elevations until I crewed hot air balloons and despite having an aeronautical weather forecast standard procedure is to send up a helium filled party balloon before launching to see what the wind is doing and I was surprised to see the balloon change direction sometimes as it rose. I'm glad people like you are watching the cameras. I dont have the patience for that. If you see correlations with events in Japan and radiation levels in North America well thats evidence I was not aware of.

• Au Au

Repost from 5 days ago: harlan
              November 19, 2013 at 9:14 am · Reply

Is the radiation level rising around Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. Here are two stations that reported higher radiation levels on Netc.com. See charts

• HoTaters

I've posted here many times, Mark, about elevated radiation levels or events taking place in Japan (Fukushima), and the increased radiation levels in North America, some 3-5 days later. Mostly observations made on readings from NETC.

Many people who post at the Forum have mentioned same; so there are many here watching this.

Most of us don't observe using sophisticated methods such as kassandra is doing. But I definitely want to check it out, as I've been aware since NILU posted reports and plume forecasts from 3/11 onward, the concentrations of radiation in the plume can vary by altitude.

If you check out the Forum comments, Mark, you'll see many people here in the States are well aware of issues with our domestic nuke plants. We just try to avoid commenting a lot in the articles section unless it's relevant.

This is instructive:

• VanneV anne

Mark, I lived in Canada for 7 years in the 1960s, so I heard heard daily criticism of the US during the Vietnam War.

Canada has more nuclear power plants per capita than the US does.

The Queen is the most corrupt nucleocrat in the world and owns more property than anyone else in the entire world.

Canada is militarily protected by the US.

Harper is as much part of the pro nuclear establishment as any politician in the US.

The elite are going to make one country out of Canada, the US, and Mexico.

Both the US and Canada live under the thumb of the corrupt nuclear industry and both are being decimated and made uninhabitable by Fukushima.

Because of NAFTA Canadian corporations are destroying the environment of the US. The gasoline in Colorado has lethal additives from Canadian corporate control. Californians pay exorbitant fees to the Canadian corporations to get those lethal additives taken out of their gas.

Canadian corporations are mining uranium in the US and destroying UD land.

The Keystone pipeline which will destroy US aquifers is not to pipe oil to the US, but to export Canadian oil to foreign countries outside the US.

British Petroleum owns the oil in Alaska and has destroyed the Gulf of Mexico.

A British arms dealer owns HAARP and all its patents in Alaska.

Globalists are destroying all of us no matter which side of the border we live in. And they conquer us by dividing us.

• byron byron

Re: netc report of 148,000. Never specified what units in Japan are being used. How did you find out they were measuring in Nano Sieverts? Anyway, that number has been stuck at that figure for months now which seems strange if it were an actual number, there would be some change, up and down a few percent. The numbers at other parts of the NPP site are also not changing. The north one has shown 3100 without change.. At the other NPP 6 miles South of Fuku, the readings have been constant also. One shows 800, another shows 300, Etc. The date-time stamp for these changes but the numbers stay the same.
        Again, please let me know how you found out that the measurements they claim to be representing real readings are in Nano Sieverts?

• Byron, 147000
          Station ID 6:1181341550 Fukushima Dai-ichi, Fukushima, JP
          nSv/h: current 147000 Low 140000 High 155000
          Average 149258, Deviation 3505

cut and pasted from above original comment. nSv/h = nano seivert per hour. All or most stations shown on http://netc.com/ in Japan seem to report in nSv/hr and are actually operated by the government. Why they report in nano Sv instead of micro Sv I don't know but its easy to divide by 1000. Obviously the stations at Fukushima are run by Tepco and netc collects data from many sources and displays it on its system.

• VanneV anne

"Fuel removal work at the common pool in Fukushima Daiichi NPS Unit 4, Nov. 22, 2013"

Actually there are two different spent fuel pools in two different buildings.

There is the common spent fuel pool and the spent fuel pool in unit 4.

The fuel is being removed from the spent fuel pool in unit 4 and being moved to the common spent fuel pool in another building 50 to 100 meters away.

It is called the common spent fuel pool because it not in the building with a reactor but has spent fuel from all 6 reactors.

• VanneV anne

Why would a culture spend so much money to destroy itself?

• VanneV anne

Notice how the video stops or is editing just when you might want to see what is happening? What is going wrong?

• Like what you have found out, something must go wrong because of the interconnections and human fallibility and the cumulative effects of our creations and then all life may be extinguished. Without informing us all these people are going ahead, knowing full well all may be adversely affected. Drones are used against people, the infinitely precious. But how can we drone out the machines of destruction?

• zardoz2012 zardoz2012

I saw the video. They are pulling fuel rods out at a speed much faster than I thought they would. Even though there is a risk of disaster in this procedure, it makes me feel better to see that at least some effort is being taken to correct the problem.

• gottagetoffthegrid

So they are spilling all that contaminated, dirty water from SFP4 into the common pool?

• Shaker1

I watched the video, too. I don't think it's too fast myself. Think about it. It may be on the order of 2ft/min, but put your hands together, then move them apart at that speed.

Regarding what we're shown, I don't believe that Arnie's comparison to a cigarette being pulled from a pack is necessarily very good. First, the racks have individual pockets per assembly. These appear to be square tubing commonly attainable commercially, but I wonder if they run full-length, or if they're just a series of connected segments. An assembly can't touch another at pulling like a cigarette. That tubing can have a weld seam on the inside, but I'm pretty sure they use tubing in which the seam is scarfed smooth in one method or another. That's also common depending upon the manufacturing process. Also, contrary to the photos I found in Tepco's index of assemblies, these have another surface the length of the assembly on the side shown between the fuel rods and that tube pocket. That is apparent if one looks at the photo posted here. I imagine that the bottom, like the top, is somewhat open with some sort of method to space the assembly from the bottom of the pool, as I imagine the bottom of the rack is open to allow convection flow of the water in the pool. They also don't fit that tightly in the pocket. It doesn't seen that an assembly that is too bent would fit into a rack. Are those, then, 'loose' in some manner in the pool? A picture of a rack itself would help the…

• Arnie's analogy is very good. You are only seeing the unscathed fuel rod bundles. They are pulling the easiest not damaged ones first. That pool did lose coolant and the camera isn't showing complete inventory. Imagine if one or some have been deformed by heat. This is where Arnies crushed cig pack comes into play. Personally I think they don't plan to move the damaged rods. Mark is bouncing. Awesome sunny day on mountain. Clear and frosty, my favorite. Peace.

• Charles Charles

Moving nuclear fuel that is in close proximity must be done slowly. I like dragging a match across a striker, if you do it slow it wont ignite.

• 富岡_Blue_Heron 富岡_Blue_Heron

My humble and sincere apologies to Tepco for flying off the handle. It was necessary to completely reset my browser for some reason in order to find this video you posted. I see it is available to me once more. I thank you. Please tell me what is the powder in the water in this screen grab?

• Shaker1

cont…
    imagination. I'll look around for one.

All in all, the debris that I see shouldn't be a problem. Tepco's published a picture of some debris on the order of the size of pebbles. What's floating around aren't anything like that. Anything large finding its way into the assembly itself may be a problem, I guess. Seems there are 'scratches' on the surface seen as it's pulled. I wonder if that's from something between that surface and the pocket, but it's not particularly continuous, jagged, kind of, maybe some debris that 'sticks' then dislodges to 'stick' again, over and over. Or maybe from a previous incident of handling which could be even before the assembly is made up.

Honestly, what can one know? Is this actually SFP 4? Are there portions of the pool that are in worse shape? I know I would begin at the easiest and safest place to prove the procedure. If others have seen my comments, you'll know I'm with zardoz on this. I don't like the questions, don't like things they're doing (or not doing, such as control and filtering of the atmosphere inside the building as this takes place) but if it's the real deal, one has to wish them the best, huh? I think so. I certainly don't trust the Unit 4 building or even what they've built over it in the event of a large earthquake. Again, its external damage was all the way down to the ground level, which even Unit 3 doesn't have.

• Shaker1

Seems there different designs for storage racks such as these, and I'd imagine that even if other countries follow the US NRC to some extent and their regulations, we've seen that Tepco hasn't done that (nor have some US plants) so they may even have racks of different designs in the pools. In a search for a picture of an individual rack (not a comprehensive search, I'll admit, and I didn't look through the multiple patent applications for specifics) I believe what I've written still holds in that each assembly has its own cell and space. I did run across Arnie's video which shows some video that supports his claim that the tops of the racks were exposed, and I'll look at that again. One thing that I wonder is if this pool had double-density racking.

• lam335 lam335

So based on the most recent headline, "Source: First attempt to remove spent fuel from Unit 4 could be next week…", I take it that the assembly being removed in the video is one of the "unused" fuel assemblies?

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

It's a hoax..

18 November 2013) Fukushima Unit 4 hoax underway (HatrickPenry)

• newsblackoutUSA newsblackoutUSA

Hotr-
      I agree…everyone is supposed to focus on #4….what are they hoping we don't notice somewhere else? Fuel pool 4 burned up on 3/12/2011 according to the NRC FOIA docs.

Thanks to Tony (HP) I have read them (FOIA docs) and researched for myself. It seems that no one wants to take the time to research…they want a sound bite and then complain or speculate.

That is why tptb don't worry about telling us the truth, because they realized long ago we are too lazy to look into to anything ourselves.

• VanneV anne

There are at least 50 reactors plus experiment reactors shut down across Japan. I wonder at the condition of all these nuclear facilities.

• paschn

Ahh yes, the West. U.S. in particular. I'm not certain if they are committing genocide/suicide by ignorance, arrogance, greed or stupidity. possibly a combination of the above? This late in "the game" and one still cannot convince the vast majority that anything is wrong, let alone the fact that they continue to blindly follow/support an amalgam of the most reprehensible swine as "leaders" in history. Most feel if it doesn't impact them directly, it can't be happening or at the very least it's not their fault. Buying one a cup of coffee doesn't negate their complicity in benefiting or supporting what their "giants of industry" and traitors in D.C. have/are/will do to their fellow humans and planet. Major evils supported by "little evils". Finally it's coming back to bite them and their evil empire on the ass.
    Them and their corporate "citizens".

Rather than work to stop the events outlined above? they'll sell marshmallows…. Therein is the "nice" of the Western Culture.

• Pashyn, your link is suggesting a theory of ongoing underground fire fueled by natural gas and brings up Centralia, a ghost town due to a coal fire which seems unrelated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

All very interesting but what does this have to do with Fukushima, a triple melt down or nuclear industry? Should be in off topic thread.

• Charles Charles

Anyone with half a brain can see that those videos are from fuel extractions that were done when the building was in tact. Just more lies.

• 富岡_Blue_Heron 富岡_Blue_Heron

HotR, just curious, why do you think it impossible that the spf was jacked up to line the storage racks up better with the cranes, which is what I think AG was saying. After that, they have to clean up the horrible mess depicted in your video link. I sort of envision guys in bunny suits and respirators walking around with long nets like pool guys dropping crud into containers for disposal. Wonder what happened to all of that. Then the pool guys use long handle brushes and water jets to clean of the handles and filter the water to swimming pool clear and conduct further inspection. More crud. "No problem!" they say, we'll test-pull a few promising rod assemblies. They do so. Tepco rubs hands. Maybe we are in the clen-up biz for real, they must think. Time to show the world they can recover, transport and reprocess a fuel assembly. They release videos purporting to depict the process. Insiders confirm. One of the videos shows rusty-colored stuff trailing said assembly as it is withdrawn from the transportation cask.

Is this all not consistent with AG's situational descriptions?

I think the Buddha is said to have advised someone to trust nothing taught, even by the Buddha, unless it is in accordance with that person's sense of reality. Or something like that.