Vancouver Sun, Nov. 27, 2013: Michael Harris, executive-director of the Pacific Whale Watch Association [...] said he’s been working in Puget Sound and the Strait of Georgia for 30 years and has “never ever seen this kind of behaviour going on. They must sense this is a safe place to be.” […] Wild Whales Vancouver had up to 10 close encounters this season in the southern Strait of Georgia, mainly near Galiano Island [...] The whales typically rolled on their backs and sides next to the boat and looked up at the passengers. One even placed its head on the boat while spyhopping, a behaviour in which the whale rises up vertically to look above the water [...]
Global News, Nov. 27, 2013: Capt. Jim Maya [...] who runs Maya’s Westside Whale Watch Charters, has been working on the waters of the Pacific since 1965 and says he has never seen anything like what they saw that day. [...] Maya says he estimates the whale was about 35 to 40 feet long and was an immature female. She hung around the boat for about an hour [...] Chad Nordstrom, a researcher with the Cetacean Research Lab at the Vancouver Aquarium, says they have been receiving more and more reports of humpback whale sightings along the B.C. coast, especially in the lower Strait of Georgia.
Vancouver Sun, Nov. 28, 2013: Andrea Hardaker, manager of Wild Whales Vancouver [said] “The passengers loved it. But they don’t know what to expect on the trip. Whatever they see they think is normal. For our guides and the captains, we know it isn’t normal.” [...] [Hardaker] believes these are the first such reports in local waters.
See also: CBS News: 100s of whales in bay on California coast; It's never been like this, we just can't even believe it -- Experts: We just aren't sure what's going on; "A once-in-a-lifetime chance... unheard of, it's unbelievable, nobody's seen this" (VIDEO)
Published: November 30th, 2013 at 11:14 pm ET
- Head researcher “is sounding the alarm” over striking changes in killer whales off Canada and Alaska since 2011 — “Unusually high mortality rate” and “odd behavior” — “Experts fear something’s wrong with the environment” (VIDEO) October 25, 2013
- Report: “Worst he’s ever seen” says Alaska boat captain — Fishermen “talking about Fukushima… convinced it has something to do with it” — Salmon “not showing up… many have lesions or worms and parasites” — Crabs “more easily damaged… a lot of dead catch” — Herring, cod, halibut, pollock catches “dropping off cliff” July 31, 2014
- ‘Astonishing’: World’s rarest whale spotted near Canada’s Pacific coast — “First confirmed sighting in recent history” — Two seen in last few months after none in 60+ years — Some “migrate to the area around Japan” — “Nasty looking but healed wound” on upper jaw (PHOTOS) November 7, 2013
- TV: US scientists testing for radiation in dead whales as mysterious die-off in Pacific continues — Now 14 carcasses reported, expert warns “death toll could still rise” — “Whales may have consumed something toxic… trying to find an explanation for this unusual event” (VIDEO) July 12, 2015
- “Unprecedented activity” near Canada’s West Coast: Whales in record numbers, displaying highly unusual behavior — Expert: Problems in Pacific could be bringing sea life to area; “Something’s amiss out there” December 21, 2013