What Is the United States Government Waiting for?
We continue to post the opinions of many international scientists on the potential global catastrophe that would result from the collapse of Reactor 4 at Fukushima Dai-ichi. The message now is simple and clear—Japan’s government will not act; it is the United States who must step forward—yet no action has been taken.
The United States government is the only other logical actor, and I find it very difficult to understand why they remain silent.
If this global catastrophe occurs, what will the world history books say?
Published: June 14th, 2012 at 6:26 pm ET
- NYT: Threat of catastrophic radioactive release from a spent fuel pool at Fukushima is dwarfed by risk posed by pools in U.S., study says May 24, 2011
- Former Governor: Leaking U.S. nuclear site an “underground Chernobyl waiting to happen” (VIDEO) May 3, 2013
- NRC Commissioner on NRC’s own statement: Someone reading this would think every reactor in U.S. is a time bomb waiting to go off — Attempted to prevent release of Fukushima report to public, Congress December 14, 2011
- Gundersen on TV: Biggest problem I see is Oyster Creek plant near Jersey Shore — No way to cool spent fuel pool while power is out — All nuclear fuel is in pool, none in reactor (VIDEO) October 29, 2012
- Nuclear Advocate: “Within 5 years there will be no nuclear power in U.S. unless something is done” — Fuel pools will fill up without Yucca Mt., “There’s nowhere for old material to go” (VIDEO) September 13, 2012