Jacob Appelbaum tweets, Twitter, April 23, 2011 at approx. 11:30 pm EDT:
Jacob Appelbaum is an independent computer security researcher. He is currently employed by the University of Washington… Appelbaum is known for representing Wikileaks at the 2010 Hope conference. He has subsequently been repeatedly targeted by US law enforcement agencies, who obtained a court order for his Twitter account data -Wikipedia
Tweet 1: Recently, I took a taxi ride with a climate scientist studying the radiation from Fukushima; he considered it much worse than disclosed.
Tweet 2: He said that the sensor network he uses for study was seeing high radiation in the Pacific; the radiation was Chernobyl scale early on.
Tweet 3: His view was that Japan was lucky because of wind blowing it into the Pacific ocean; bad wind would have resulted in evacuation of Tokyo.
Tweet 4: I’m really going to be curious to see real radiation readings and data from all of the NOAA sensors – with historical context too.
Tweet 5: It will be really interesting to compare news reports and actual sensor data: Who was accurate? Who was wildly incorrect? What did we learn?
Tweet 6: Humans tend to ignore risk when they can’t directly see an impact – eg: it’s safe because no one is sick; no one will be sick as it’s safe.
Tweet 7: Pro-tip: if your baby can’t safely drink the cesium infused water, you probably don’t want to be the adult cesium experiment
Published: April 24th, 2011 at 4:40 am ET
- UN committee chairman studying Fukushima radiation impact: “We wouldn’t expect to see health effects” in children, workers, or anyone else May 23, 2011
- Pro-Nuke Climate Advisor to Japan Gov’t: “I’ve come to understand there are ethical considerations with destroying the lives of local residents” January 25, 2012
- New Scientist asks “How did the population of Fukushima prefecture dodge the radioactivity?” — Chernobyl 10 times more radiation November 16, 2011
- “Complete Information Control”: Japan newspapers receive much frightening info that’s covered up — Some evacuees died from acute symptoms yet not reported — Journalists scared August 16, 2012
- ‘Unthinkable Twist’: Japan expert calls for immediate health exams outside Fukushima, must act urgently or damage will be worse — Gov’t Officials: “I don’t want to discuss the issue”… Discovery of cancer could cause excessive anxiety July 23, 2014