Title: Possible Fukushima Leak Renews Concerns About Plant’s Stability
Source: Wall Street Journal
Author: By YUKA HAYASHI
Date: April 5, 2012, 7:09 a.m. ET
Water containing radioactive substances may have leaked into the ocean from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, the plant operator said Thursday, the latest example of continued problems at the stricken plant [...]
The company estimates roughly 12 tons of contaminated water may have escaped into the ocean. High levels of cesium 134 and 137 were confirmed at the point of the leak [...]
Such problems have cast doubts about the plant’s stability long after the government declared in late December the reactors had been brought under control.
Title: Japan nuke plant leaks radioactive water again
Date: April 5, 2012
[...] The leak comes as Tokyo Electric Power Co. struggles to keep the melted reactors cool and contain radiation and raises concerns about its ability to keep the plant stable. Similar leaks have occurred several times since last year, and officials say they do not pose an immediate health threat.
Workers spotted the leak early Thursday coming from a section of hose on a device used to decontaminate cooling water leaking from reactors. The company said it appeared to have stopped the leak. [...]
“Our officials confirmed that cooling water leaked at a joint in the pipes [...] it is possible that part of the water may have flowed outside the facility and poured into the ocean” -Tepco spokesman
See also: Tepco: Strontium leaking into ocean -- Tons more highly contaminated water enters sea -- "TEPCO has apologized for the incident and says it will determine the cause and extent of the leakage"
Published: April 5th, 2012 at 7:45 am ET
- Fukushima Governor: This is a national emergency — Massive radioactive leak causes top officials to hold emergency meeting — Tepco: Leakage believed to be continuing Tuesday August 20, 2013
- New highly radioactive leak from pipe at Fukushima plant — Expert: Nuclear material may be flowing from “damaged pipes or drains” into Pacific April 11, 2013
- NYTimes: New Leak Found at Fukushima Nuclear Plant April 15, 2013
- Japan TV: “Radiation levels surge” at Fukushima — “Another major leak” — “Massive leak of … highly contaminated water” — “Hundreds of tons… breached barriers” (VIDEO) March 12, 2015
- NYT: Fukushima plant leaking for past 2 years? Japan Times: Groundwater is reaching sea — Reuters: Growing alarm, problems mounting — Official: If you have solutions, we’d like to know — WSJ: No ‘immediate’ health threat July 11, 2013