Radioactive Cesium Above Government Limit Detected in Fukushima Rice, Wall Street Journal, Nov. 17, 2011:
While Japan has battled a series of food scares in the wake of the nuclear crisis, the latest revelation hits at the heart of the country’s proud national staple: Radioactive cesium exceeding the government limit was detected for the first time in rice harvested in Fukushima prefecture.
About 630 becquerels of cesium per kilogram were found in a rice sample taken from a farm in Fukushima City, the prefectural government said Wednesday night. The levels measure above the government-mandated limit of 500 becquerels per kilogram of harvested rice, prompting immediate calls to limit shipments from the area. [...]
Japanese officials began conducting tests on rice fields in April [...] Mr. Takeuchi said that the Oonami rice fields measured below the limit at the time [...]
Excessive levels of radioactive cesium found in Fukushima rice, Kyodo, November 17, 2011:
Excessive levels of radioactive cesium have been found in rice harvested in the city of Fukushima, the Fukushima prefectural government said Wednesday, marking the first time such levels of the isotope have been detected in the national staple since the nuclear crisis erupted in March. [...]
After testing rice samples from all the 48 cities, towns and villages in the prefecture where rice has been grown this year, the Fukushima governor declared last month that the crop produced in the prefecture, which hosts the crippled Fukushima Daiichi power plant, was safe.
Published: November 17th, 2011 at 1:49 am ET
- ‘First Time’: Radioactive rice with more than double gov’t cesium limit found outside Fukushima Prefecture January 10, 2013
- Kyodo: Rice exceeds new cesium limit for first time — 60 km from Fukushima plant October 24, 2012
- Tokyo-based Writer: Over 1,000,000 Japanese still living in areas with high daily radiation exposure — Previous cesium limit in rice was just 0.1 Bq/kg; Now 1,000 times higher June 24, 2012
- Mainichi: Highest radiation level yet — 37 times gov’t limit detected in river trout caught 40km from meltdowns March 30, 2012
- Rice grown nearby Fukushima plant cleared for sale — Farmer: “I would not dare eat it… We feel guilty about growing it and selling it” (VIDEO) October 11, 2013