David Freeman, a senior advisor with Friends of the Earth’s nuclear campaign [...] was appointed chairman of the Tennessee Valley Authority by President Jimmy Carter in 1977, where he stopped the construction of eight large nuclear power plants and pioneered a massive energy conservation program. Subsequently, Freeman served for two decades as general manager of several large public power agencies including the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, the New York Power Authority and the Sacramento Municipal Utility District. He is a renowned expert on clean energy, efficiency and the risks of nuclear power.
At 27:30 in
David Freeman, former chairman of the Tennessee Valley Authority: And now guess what? The Nuclear Regulatory Commission last Thursday, guess what they met on? You won’t believe this… The subject of the meeting was 80-year licenses for old nuclear power plants [...] If you have a plant operating for 80 years [next to an earthquake fault] you’re not just rolling the dice, you’re practically committing suicide [...] everyone living within a 50 mile radius is a guinea pig.
Published: October 18th, 2012 at 5:02 pm ET
- Nuclear Expert in 2011: “We are going to see the dance we’re in for another year or so” — They may throw up their hands and pour concrete on reactors (AUDIO) April 12, 2012
- U.S. Freezes All Nuclear Reactor Construction & Operating Licenses August 7, 2012
- Nuclear Expert: Radiation plume has now hit Hawaii — In a year it’ll probably reach U.S. West Coast (VIDEO) April 8, 2012
- Nuclear Expert Discusses ‘Melt-Through’ at NRC Meeting: I believe melted nuclear core leaked out of Fukushima reactors onto floor (VIDEO) October 22, 2011
- Japan Nuclear Expert: “We don’t even know at this point where the melted down core is” under Reactors No. 1, 2 or 3 (VIDEO) May 5, 2012